·
Registered
554 Posts
Moose Video

Very cool and well done video.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Cool. I was thinking about doing Newfoundland. I didn't know moose came like the ones your buddies got (kind of like deer antlers w/o the "palmation"(Sp?). What outfitter did you use?

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
great video! if you wouldn't mind taking the time, could you give us some more details on you clothing, gear ect? what to take and not to take? what distance did you friends shoot theirs at? any info would be great!!! I am heading up the middle of September and any information would be a great help.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Been there and done that. Knee high rubber boots and really good rain gear are a must. My longest shot, across a bog, was 238 yards. You need to be in good shape. Hunting Newfoundland is like walking 10 miles a day on your sofa. The people are great and the country is really beautiful.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, knee high boots are a must. I had uninsulated LA Crosse Alpha Burly s. The guide recommend that type boot over leather type. You will also want good rain gear. Cheap plastic gear will be ripped to shreds in that black spruce.
My buddies shots were 60 yds and 100 yds. Definitely take a camera.
I went with Patey and Sons. A good outfit and the guides work hard to get you a moose. Book an early hunt. Our group was the last to hunt for the year. Our hunt was begining of October. Several other groups were on that camp before us. So that meant several moose were killed before we got there. I believe that told us 14 moose were taken from that camp, that year. Ours were the last 3.
Patey and Sons operates over a dozen fly in camps. Fly in means you don't compete against locals.

The people are very friendly. It was an amazing hunt. I belive at that time 6he success rate for that outfit was 94% . Guides told us that many that were not successful were because they were older and couldn't walk as far or that they passed waiting for bigger antlers.

You Wil put some miles on your feet, so be in shape

1 - 8 of 8 Posts