The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so most y'all seen i just bought a 760 BDL in 308 last week....

i was worried about online buying and was praying it would shoot well...bore was bright...rifling sharp...i was confident she would shoot..but nervous....

only fired 8 rounds....open sights, 50yds, just wanted to make sure it grouped and got the iron sights close to zeroed..

im no iron sight marksmen...my astigmatism makes focusing on iron sights tough..even with contacts which i didnt wear today due to allergies right now...ammo was 150gr powerpoints..just to see if she groups without buying expensive ammo...also no scope yet..so i had to shoot the irons...

heres the last 3 shots i fired from her...

im impressed...i know its only 50yds...but, cheap factory ammo and a shooter that doesnt hardly ever shoot iron sights and has a little trouble doing so, im impressed....

i can only imagine what shes gunna do with a good handload and good glass ontop...im not counting the chickens before the eggs hatch...but, i wont give up working loads till its 1 ragged hole at 100yds...shes got it in her!!!

and yet, some will still say pump guns dont shoot.....this one shows major potential....and my whelen shoots sub-moa at 100yds...maybe i got lucky and got 2 gooduns...or, maybe, they do shoot well! lol...

i cant wait for winter when i will be working up handloads for her...i'll likely be hunting with nosler factory 165gr accubonds this fall...if i carry her...i promised the whelen that i wouldnt carry anything else till it kills a bear or buck....and i wont...but, i got NC bear hound and deer hound hunts in the making...the whelen will be coming on the bear hunt..and the guy said a 200lber or so shouldnt be all too hard..so the whelen got a decent chance to kill in NC this fall..so long as it all falls together for me...

but, im very happy with the new pump gun!!! just thought id keep y'all posted....

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
I am so happy for Devin. You made a wise choice on that rifle and I was happy to be of some help, as I am sure Bob is too.

That rifle will end up being your favorite. And you will find yourself wanting it in your hands on the mountain. And you will find yourself craving fall and the time to get her out and check her zero.

Take it from a man who adores these rifles, and this caliber especially in this model...

Guys who don't have one are missing out. Take that to the bank. I scoop up any one I can, whenever I can. I love them to death

I am confident it will be the best shooting hunting rifle in town.

Take great care of her, love her, adore her. You deserve it and she's yours!

One day both of ours will meet on the mountain

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Lookin good. I'm sure it will work well for you.

Send another update once you get some optics on her.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Dude, it's a 760! Is there any question it's going to be the best rifle you own? I don't think so!!

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx for all the help tony! I appreciate it man!...all of it! We'll definently share the mountain sometime...take our bdls for a walk...

Huntfish, will do...I'm excited for getting her scoped! Even more excited to work up loads this winter!!

John, you know it! But, you know the 760 haters out there! "They don't shoot for crap" etc etc....my whelen shoots sub-moa...and I'm certain this 308 bdl will as well...

I'm excited as heck to carry my new babies! The mauser treated me well the past 10yrs...but, hunting for me is 95% drives...in and outta the truck every hour or 2 when deer hunting at home...the mausers internal mag drove me nuts...and heavy, bulky, long...just not a driving rifle...but, did well for me...I will never sell her...I want to pass her down...

·
Administrator
39,067 Posts
Tell ya what Devin,if that thing shoots like that with open sights at 50 well when you scope her, and make up your own loads the possibilities are unlimited my friend.

If you get a chance try a few round nose outta her.Those 760's love em!

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Looks like you got yourself a real keeper....

BTW, save the excuses about "bad" eyes and iron sights for when you get older....

Very nice shooting....

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanx gwh! I don't know what it is, but I doubt I will ever shoot a round nose....bullets with plastic tips seem to be my style for some reason! I really considered round noses in the 35 whelen...that thing would hit with sickening authority...

I'm going to be testing accubonds in all my rifles...both on paper and game...I think they might be a very great bullet...

Thax bob! Ya, I probably don't need excuses with a group like that....but if I didn't have bad eyes and wasn't shooting irons, I think she woulda been tighter! Lol....we'll find out soon enough!

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Nice Mauser, glad it worked out for ya. I get a little nervous buying a gun over the internet too. I have a load for some 150gr. InterBonds if you want to try them when you start loading. They shoot well out of my 308 760s.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
nice buy mauser, i load 150gr bullets for my buddy's 308>rem 760 and it shoots 3/4in groups consistantly. i use rcbs short-base full length sizer die for his rem 760 and a savage 99, and the rounds feed very smooth, the load is: 150gr bullet-42.0grns IMR 4895 CCI 200 primer....you got a sweet one!

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Nice man. My old man has one in 30-06. I don't know what year it is, but it's the first year they came out with the basket weaved style engraving on the stocks. Its his baby and he's kept it in as mint of condition as one could for hunting with for maybe 25-30 years. If I can find one of those older ones with the basket waeving, I'd probably buy it. Guys did they make it in .243?

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
back in high school my buddy had an ADL in 243, not sure if they made a BDL in it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts