1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[img:center]

Two years ago, while I was preparing for my Alaska grizzly hunt, I got hooked up with another HPA member - RatherBeHunting. (Kevin) We kept in touch with each other while we were working out and getting in shape. Also shared some equipment info and logistics info on our trips. It was really great having someone else who was going through the same thing at the same time. Though I have never met Kevin in person, I definitely have an internet friend in him. Happy to say that Kevin harvested a beautiful Dall Ram on his third attempt at it and I took a grizzly bear and caribou on my trip. I think I was (almost) as happy for him as I was for myself.
Kevin had some pics last spring on here of slate calls that he made for HPA members. They were really nice. One of them was made from Alaskan Birch that he acquired while he was there on his trip. I made arrangements with him to make one for me also and he personalized it for me. It arrived in the mail today. I must say that I am quite impressed with it. I think it is really beautiful. It has a significance to me in that it comes from AK and my name, date of harvest and AK grizzly bear is inscripted on it. Coupled with my correspondence with Kevin before our trips, it is really a nice momento of that time in my life.
Equally important to me though, is that it is a SWEET sounding call and is very easy to use. In moments I was producing some really good calls.
It just became my mission this spring to harvest a turkey called in with this call. I will post pics when that happens.
If you want a great looking and sounding call, personalized for you, get ahold of RatherBeHunting. If you can get him to make one for you, it will be well worth it. I hope my pics turn out ok. I am not the greatest with a camera.

·
Premium Member
24,077 Posts
Nice looking call, i'm sure it sounds as good as it looks

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Congrats to you and Kevin on a beautiful call that signifies a memorable hunt and friendship.
Can't wait to see pics of that big spring gobbler.

Like I said before, we have some GREAT callmakers on this site.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Nice call, great story, better memories, and that striker !! Totally tops in design, really a personalized instrument to go with the other 3 factors that make this a once in a lifetime call, and your goal of taking a turkey with it this spring is admirable, just dont lose it or sit on it, you'd hate yourself if something happened to it !! Nice post and story !!, Lonnie

·
Registered
952 Posts
Mike, glad you like the call! I enjoyed making it for you! It also reminded me of a very special time in my life. Thankfully we were both successfull.
I do have to give credit to the guys that did the laser work. I took them a zipper pull (I picked up in Talkeetna, Ak) made from a piece of caribou antler with a bear paw engraved into it. I told them what I was looking for and they did the layout and duplicating of the paw. I think they did a great job.

Send me a pic when you get your bird this spring!!

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kevin - You Da Man!!! The more I look over that thing, the more I like it. I can't get over how good it sounds. I am expecting to have to shoot a gobbler in self defense. Okay maybe that's a little overboard. Maybe...Thanks alot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
534 Posts
I will post some pictures over the weekend of the calls that Ratherbehunting (Kevin) made for me. I just received them last week and could not be happier. Not only are they beautiful and unique but they have an awesome sound to them. I will relay the story behind the calls when I post the pictures.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts