The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was back at Kerpers gun shop in Bowmansville Pa a few days ago and saw a custom bench rest rifle in .284 with a heavy bull barrel, laminate stock, and a Mauser 98 action. The bore looks great and so does the whole rifle! I did a bunch of research on the caliber and came back with little. It's not very popular and from what I see only Winchester makes ammo for it. So I was wondering if you guys have any tips to give as far as making it the best it can be? Also what are your opinions about this set up? What scope would you think is worth while. I'm planning on ground hogs at long ranges and big game hunting at moderate ranges. I'm figuring a 12X any help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
While I can't comment on your questions, it is good to know that Scheyl is still in business. Is the shop still in the barn and does she still have them RedBone and Blue Tick Coon Hounds? It's been years since I visited that place.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no she's not in the barn. from what I heard it got robbed a while back she's now right along route 625 by the the sunoco in town. I'm not sure about the hounds I never see them anymore. Still a great shop! and she will negotiate prices too and I really appreciate that.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
284 Win. is a great cartridge. Developed by Winchester as their answer to high velocity 7mm round in a short action. Its a rebated rim round, the body is fatter than the case head. In 1963, it was hot stuff. Although it never acheived great status, the case plays host to some of the best wildcat cartridges of the past 50 years. A little heavy for varmints, but it will do a fantastic job, probably what it was built for way back when.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear ya on the heavy for varmints!! but I'm hoping to push my range out this year for ground hogs. Last year I used a .223 and had an awesome time, but the far ones where a challenge. I want the challenge but I need the right equipment. I am going to use it for my Wilderness Pa hunt for 450 lbs hogs!

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
You need to check the throat length on that rifle....if it is not long throated you won't realize the potential of the .284 with bullets designed for long range shooting...

Also, if you won't handload for it, pass it up....

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the help I will get the throat length checked out by a pro. Any more tricks I should know? Thanks Again.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got done cleaning it one final time and installing a new Redfield 4-12X40 on medium rings. Everything is tight and ready to go! Can't wait to see what happens
Pics coming soon! what's the best way to post pics?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts