The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this in the mail today. It is a Zona custom takedown, 54# at 28". Now, I need to get some sticks for it and break her in. I plan on shooting 125 grain broadheads, and based on the spine calculator posted on here, it looks like 2213's look like the right shaft for her. Can someone double check that for me? Also, I can't find which carbon might work, they're either overspined or underspined. Am I missing something? My arrows for my 43 pound recurve are cut at 30.5 inches, with 5 inch feather.

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
that's a sweet looking bow there....wish i knew enough to offer advice. you're a lefty huh????

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Most carbons are overspined and need to be adjusted through the use of weighting the front end or using a longer arrow.

With your draw length, longer arrows might not be an option. I would go with pdp screw in weights in the back of insert. You'll need a special wrench.

I shoot CE Heritage 250's out of my [email protected] Thunderhawk. They are cut to 30.5" and they get drawn all the way back to the shelf, meaning I use every bit of there length. I use a 125 gr. Magnus Stinger and have 100 gr of brass behind the head. They fly excellent and hit like a freight train. I believe my total arrow weight is 670grains.

You could most likely use the CE Heritage 90's with full length arrows (30.5") and 125 grain points. You could also use a GT 3555 cut to length with 125's and maybe 50 grains of extra weight behind the insert.

Is that 43# @ 30.5 inches? What is you draw length?

Remember to weaken the spine on a carbon, add weight upfront or leave them longer in length. To increase spine, shorter arrows or lighter front ends.

You can figure out how much weight you'll need by bareshaft tuning. Here is a link to learn how.

http://bowmaker.net/index2.htm

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Junior, 2213's would be okay from your bow. They fly well out of my #57 longbow. My broadheads totalled 140 gr. 125 for the heads, 15 for the glue on inserts and flew like darts. Recurves are a little more forgiving in spine variation than longbows. Sweet bow, BTW! Let me know if you get a Sunday afternoon off. My club shoots indoor every Sunday from 4PM-6PM

·
Registered
673 Posts
Great looking bow. I shoot a 54# recurve @ 28 inches. My arrows are cut at 29 inches shooting a 125 grain tip. The bow shoots CE 150 Heritage arrows and 2016 aluminum. The best advice I can give you is buy one arrow and shoot it. If it doesn't fly well try another until you find which works the best.

·
Registered
24 Posts
A bow that nice needs the gentleness of cedar passing off the shelf. If you have never shot wood you are really missing out. They are not the easiest at times but are well worth the effort.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts