The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rimfire Rifle

It's a Savage 93R17 in .17 HMR

The scope and bipod were already on the gun and it came with an extra magazine, and the trigger (in case the picture is too small is an accu trigger one). Best part was after trading in a rifle I could only use in some areas of the state and from a freebie shotgun I had, the gun, PICS, snap cap, and two boxes ammo (Hornaday one 15g and the other 17g) was only 68 bucks.

·
Premium Member
24,278 Posts
Nice rig there!

Last year I bought a new Savage 93FV in the 22WMR and love it!!

·
Super Moderator
7,821 Posts
I had a Savage 93 in 17HMR, and it was great shooter. Shot 17gr well, shot 20gr XTP's extremely well. 17gr's would give me about an inch at 100. 20's would deliver 5 shot groups I could cover with a penny.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My dad and I did some work trying to sight it in ( only had 20 yards to work with), but I agree that the 20 grain seems to work the best. We got pretty close and more than enough i think for hunting work. The grouping with it was great. Was a pleasure to shoot, we put a 100 rounds through it. Has no recoil whatsoever, even compared to a 22...which is usually minimally. I think a large stapler might have more recoil. The accu trigger is fantastic. I just can't say enough positive things about this gun.

·
Super Moderator
7,821 Posts
I had the el-cheapo version with tupperware plastic stock on it, and it shot like a champ. Only reason I sold it was because I wanted something else more and I rarely found the time to hunt with the 17. It was not difficult to shoot one-ragged-hole groups at 100 with the one I had. I have not heard of a single instance of a Savage 93 in 17HMR not shooting extremely well, and most seem to group 20gr ammo better than 17gr variety, but even the 17gr ammo will provide more than acceptable hunting accuracy.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I dont mean to knock the 17 grain ones, both we're quiet good, but I think I'd say 20 grain was slightly better in the end I'd use whichever is best for the game being hunted.

Still I can't speak highly enough of this gun. I think the accutrigger is set to the lowest level, but I need to give it a look when I clean it. Oh I should mention I fired it first before any cleaning or breakdown. I of course checked for any dangers, but I like to see how it fires in used condition to test (imperfectly of course) field use.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another testament to how good this gun was that my dad told me in a call later he saw two hogs in the backyard yesterday and could only thing about wanting to break out he savage. Lol

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
tdd said:
LOL....those 17's have a bit of bark to 'em, though.....neighbors might notice.;)
Oh yeah the live in Montco, no way you could ever hunt there, not even with archery. Though I joke that at least their neighbor to the right would be fine with it.

That said its a shame as they really do havoc on their backyard.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts