The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my new .50 cal Pedersoli Kentucky pistol I did from a kit.
Before

After with a Possiblity Bag I made also.

·
Registered
615 Posts
that looks good! that bag is very cool. did you hand sew with sinew? what about the bead work? where did the star come from? trader blanket?

·
Registered
12,725 Posts
How is the lock on your Pedersoli? I am thinking about getting the Bounty model. Good work Sir

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
secret said:
that looks good! that bag is very cool. did you hand sew with sinew? what about the bead work? where did the star come from? trader blanket?
Yes hand sewed and I did the bead work,the star cam from Tandy.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
octagon said:
How is the lock on your Pedersoli? I am thinking about getting the Bounty model. Good work Sir
The lock is great and strong,got a good postive half and full cock.I got the kit from dixie gun works and they stand behind there products,any problems and they will fix it or replace it.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
brewyak said:
how does it shoot?
Haven't shot it yet,when the weather breaks I give is a run and post how it does.

·
Registered
12,725 Posts
Retiredusne8 said:
octagon said:
The lock is great and strong,got a good postive half and full cock.I got the kit from dixie gun works and they stand behind there products,any problems and they will fix it or replace it.
Great news!!

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Octagon
Here is a picture of the left side,also the lock is tight up against the touch hole<I've done tridition kit before and this kit beat the heck out of tradition.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
R-usn8,

Nice! Pinned barrel. I like your sights. A few questions for ya if you don't mind:

1) What bluing\browning kit did you use on the barrel?

2) What finish (stain and ??? toung oil???) did you use on the wood?

BTW & FWIW, I've decided (found a guy) do go with This fellow for building the components for my flintlock pistol. This guy is a good 'ol Southern Boy.

I was on the phone with him yesterday for about 45 minutes. I'm ordering a 50 cal barrel which will be "somewhere" between 12.5 & 13" long.
He will use a De Haas blank and cut it from an Octagon, down to a swamped round, with the "cannon" muzzle finish for a crown.

The lock will be a Chambers Queen Ann, and the side plate he just cuts a piece of metal and files it to his liking. My furniture will be all black Iron as I've just decided that, even though I like brass furniture, this is going to be a hunting gun. So, I don't want any glitz 'n glitter. Besides, I've seen many a rifle done all in iron and they look darn nice. So....I figure it's what I like and I'm just gonna get it.

The wood will be Maple. Could be a fancy curly maple. I talked to him about it and I'm gonna make a run to Mars Lumber and see what they have. If they have (and I'm sure they will have something worthy) something I really like, I'll ship it to him.

Anyway, that's the plan.

But I like your barrel color 'n wood color. Let me know.

Congrats on a fine job!

Dave

·
Registered
12,725 Posts
Cool Dave!! How do they blacken the iron? I have seen browned and aged, but not the blackened. I wouldn`t mind that color myself
How much is it gonna cost ya?

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Octagon,

As far as the "How" on the black iron.....I can honestly say at this point....I dunno. I've seen it on rifles.....but I dunno. I ask this guy (Bruce....don't ask me his last name right this second) if black could be had....and he said not a problem.

Budget!....The sky is the lim.....NO!! I got a "total" budget right now of $600. The barrel, swamped, with a fitted plug and flared tang, and an installed Chambers touch hole liner is $155.

Of course, like any new "project" I'm already looking forward to getting it in my mitts and putting some time into it.

We talked about the powder charge, and I wanted to go with at least an FF powder charge of 80gr. With a 240gr. conical I'm thinking that should\could get the MV over 1,000fps. Bruce seems to think it will be well past that. The barrel twist will be 1-18.

Recoil should be similar to that of a 357 magnum. I'm use to shooting the stout full loads of my 44 magnum Smiths during the summer, so the recoil should not prove to be an issue.

Sight choice will be interesting though. Rear will be a dovetail, and I'm not sure about the front. Maybe a blade or maybe a pin.

R-usn8 got me all worked up about building one.....Yeah.....that's it.....it's all his fault!!!!

Dave

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dave T
I use Birchwood Casey perma blue,and Birchwood Casey tru-oil 4 coats and rubbed with 4-0 steel wool between coats,the stock is walnut and has a nice grain and at the butt there was some sap wood that gave it character,no need for a skull cap. the barrel is a 1:18 twist,10 3/8, and it throws one heck of a shower of sparks.I won't get the FPS you will out of your pistol,Would like to see some before and after pixs.when you get yours. DaveT sorry if I got you in a spending/building mode.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts