The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i thought i was looking for a DSLR, but realized im not as i dont think im ready, or wanting to, mess with lenses and all that yet...

i love taking pics and im ready for a camera that will take better pics...better zoom..better quality..maybe some different functions and such....

i know nothing about numbers blah blah etc...but see this is 20x zoom..this is possibly what im looking for....

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1393&page=overview

something like that...

any recommendations on a camera that im trying to describe?? i have no idea what the lense numbers mean or anything....i know most point n shoots have 2 zooms and 1 is grainy and useless...(digital or optical? i cant remember i know 1 of them is a higher number and about useless..) i dont know anything about using shutter speeds blah blah etc....but i think a camera like that you can use the lense more and use the shutter more than a pocket sized point n shoot??

thoughts? opinions? what am i lookin for?? can one of those take the blurred background shots?? haha...i THINK i can take decent pics with sometin like that..far out, landscape, marco, portraits etc etc...might not be professional but will give me better than a pocket sized point n shoot?? recommendations?? this is probably one of the highest rated buys of the summer...i only got 4 "major purchases" on the list left and this is one of the important ones ive been wanting a while...

do my homework now so i can start shoppin around and all that fun stuff...

i appreciate it!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Canon is the best to buy in point and shoots..Just remember you should get the higher optical zoom so when you zoom in the picture is taken zoomed in...They make a 10 or 12 optical zoom which is best..Digital zoom will not show up when taking the picture..

·
Registered
338 Posts
Check out the Nikon Coolpix 80 with 18X optical.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
This same subject came up elsewhere recently and the guy picked the olympus that you have a link for. The guy is on this site also and goes by "jguns2002". He posts mostly on the waterfowl forum. He went to an independent camera shop and spent considerable time testing different makes and models. You will get a lot of Ford vs Chevy (Cannon vs Nikon) answers to a question like this. By testing them yourself you can get past all that stuff.

Here are two pics I took not too long ago, one with a Cannon and one with a Kodak.

There are a lot things to consider, one thing that occurs to me at the moment is the difference in controls. My cannon has a lot of on screen controls, the kodak has quite a few hard button controls. Personally I prefer hard buttons but you may not.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Speaking of mistakes...that is not the camera he bought. Not even the same brand, he bought a Sony HX1. Sorry about that, no intent to mislead....

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I just bought a canon powershot sx20is and couldn't be happier. I looked at a ton of them and consumer reports had it rated highest out of all of the other megazoom cameras. It has plenty of settings to play with, is 12 mp and has a 20x optical zoom. Not saying you have to get it but I would highly recommend looking into it.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Canon+-+Powe...4&skuId=9455127

Also, something I didn't know but Best Buy will match any price anywhere. I found it on some no name site for 60 bucks less than best buy and told them about it. All I did was pull it up on my phone and they said "OK...we'll knock 60 bucks off"...it was that easy.

Here are a few pics I took with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts