The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I tagged out archery hunting local the 1st week of November, so I wasnt quite sure what to do about deer camp. My son was invited for a kids camp weekend the first weekend of November and was invited back for deer season!!! only catch is he's 9 and i didnt have a rifle for him. I procured a .223 bolt action from a relative and he handled it quite well. All the range sessions with the .22s had paid off. Next was a mentored tag...then the hard part...approval from the wife....the boxes were all checked and everything was falling into place. From the day he was born ive been awaiting the opportunity to share hunting with him. For his age he has become quite the accomplished little angler, but hunting deer was all new to him. We arrived at camp in 2F midday Friday and I took him to our spot to clear twigs, leaves, and mark our spot with a cat eye so we could find it in the dark Saturday morning. Friday night had me doing PCC's & PCI's with of our gear for a dawn to dusk day in the woods... Opening day had us snuggled next to a root ball with the blowdown tree serving as a great shooting rest. We saw plenty of deer from 1st light till 0900...all doe. He became cold and tired by 1000, so he crawled into the sleeping bag for a short nap. I woke him at 11 for lunch...no sooner had we finished our sandwiches when a group of doe came by followed by this lil guys trophy...the HogHammer 62 grain Barnes did its job after he did his....85 yd shot, 15 yd recovery...pretty sure my smile was much bigger than his...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Congrats to that young hunter and his proud Dad. A day that he will never forget for sure.... Great story, Thanks for sharing your hunt with us.....

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
22,060 Posts
WOOOO-HOOOOO!!! way to go lil guy. 85 yards is an awesome shot, congrats on such a fine shot and tremendous deer.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Fantastic Job!!!
Great shooting. All that range time really paid off.

·
Registered
275 Posts
congrats lil guy, can't wait to get my lil grandson out. shooting 22mags really well, getting ready to step him up.
again congratulations

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
..that's what it is all about!...CONGRATS!!!

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Awesome, start them young, and you will have a hunting buddy for life..

1 - 20 of 42 Posts