The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here it is. Here is a summary of my past week of hunting.
I had a pretty good week of archery hunting starting last Friday. On Friday afternoon, I decided not to take the crossbow and took my shotgun instead, scouting for turkeys. I did not run into any turkeys, but wouldn't you know it? I was walking down a logging road and caught a flash of white to my right in the thick stuff, so I froze and looked hard. The albino eight point I have been hunting all season long was twenty yards away. He crossed the road about thirty yards in front of me. I grunted and he stopped, standing broadside. The shot would have been a piece of cake, but what am I holding? Of course. A shotgun. I figured that would be the only chance I would have at this beautiful guy.
During the week of hunting, I saw six different bucks. Two were sub-legal; a spike and a four point. I also saw two six points and another eight point. The second eight point was a boomer; heavy rack and swollen neck. Unfortunately he made me and I didn't get a chance for a shot.
Thursday morning I tried a stand in the creek bottom below our cabin. I had a second chance at Whitey! He came across behind my stand and never gave me an open shot. Maybe I will see him on the first day of rifle season.
I did have a shot at one of the six points, but I held out for something better. This may turn out to be a bad decision, but I don't think so right now. We still have two weeks of rifle season coming.
The albino eight point is the same buck of which I posted a photo last winter. He was a scrawny three point in February when he finally lost his antlers. This year, he is a decent eight. If nobody gets him this year, I wonder what he would be like next year?
The bucks are into what I call the "Walking Phase" of the rut. They are out all hours of the day and night walking around and looking for does that might be coming into heat. During the Walking Phase, I usually see more bucks than I do does, and this past week was no exception. The scrapes are being tended, and trees are being rubbed like there is no tomorrow. Next week will be crazy for them with the new moon. It has been my experience in the past that much of the "Chasing Phase" occurs during that phase of the moon. I will be out there on Wednesday and Thursday for the archery bear season. We have been seeing a few bears, so hopes are pretty high. Of course, we are hunters, and for some silly reason, our hopes are always high, aren't they?
I have to take today off to help the W 1 FE unit with some of her honeydo list. Good luck to all.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
That would have been great to see you get that albino that you have been after. Hopefully you run into him again with the right weapon in the right season. Thanks for sharing the story and good luck!

·
Registered
18,719 Posts
Nice report Mutt and good luck on Whitey during the firearms season.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Nice report Mutt...Best of luck with the rifle.
Be cool just to see that albino which i am sure it was.

I hunted half of the last week and still never saw the rut turn on. Short of the two I grunted in that came in kind of lazily, really nothing...never saw the chasing or even the "walking phase" like we have in the past up there and we got lots of does hanging out.

Well with my doe harvest on 10/17 and the boy's button buck crossbow kill on 11/9, I cannot complain one bit on the seasons results, although the rut activity was a bit disappointing here.

Glad to hear others had that type action. Guy here at work saw 11 bucks last week but never got a shot.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Good report George. If you need help Wed. or Thurs. you know how to get ahold of me. Let's hope there is a bear to bring out of the woods.
I saw 13 deer total this season. Never did see rut activity or anything even related to the rut.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Mutt you are right . I took off the first week of November and saw way more bucks than does but the shooters were a bit out of range for my abilities. Watching them chase and roam the woods was a great experience . Trail cameras confirmed plenty of good bucks in the area ! Best of luck this season ....Finn

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah, well. One can only hope, right? I just count myself fortunate for having had a few opportunities to see this guy over the past year. My only hope is that if he is killed, it is by a hunter and not a criminal/poacher.

·
Registered
20,874 Posts
I was checking out a new spot on some state forest property yesterday morning.I'm walking along and old logging trail,thinking this area can't possible get much pressure because of the steep hillsides.I look down the hill and thought I saw a white 5 gallon bucket someone was planning on sitting on.When I put the glasses up,the 5 gallon bucket turned into a big,snow white doe.It was awesome,she was all white except for her head.Apparantly,this area doesn't get much pressure because this deer stuck out like a sore thumb and she'd definately been around for at least a couple of years.Interestingly,I marked the spot "whitey"on my GPS.Will see what happens the monday after thaksgiving.I'm generally not a real softy but I don't know if I could pull the trigger or not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts