The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, didn't get around to getting these posted until now, finally got my Beck rifle built by Ron Luckenbill into the woods deer hunting this past season and killed two does with it.
First one was 25 yards, about 30 yard recovery

2nd was 30 yards and about the same 30 yard recovery

I love this gun! 54 cal shooting prb's with 100 grains of 2f.

Can't wait until next flintlock season!
Thanks for looking

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
A couple Weeks ago, on the Outdoor Channel " Impossible Shots" Show, George Sutton used a Ron Lukinbil Lefty Flinter to spin coins. Ron is a member of the Jefferson County Longrifles, where I shoot. He is an outstanding guy. Also a very good Marksmen. You are a lucky guy to own one of His creations, way to go.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Luckenbill has become one of the best, he gets high praise from all the oldtimers in contemporary building. Take a look at his website, he's not afraid to to whatever you want when building a gun. Nice deer !

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Saw Ron at the CLA 18th century show in Lewisburg yesterday. He makes a fine rifle and his prices certainly are within the laymans range. If you're looking for a quality project at reasonable prices, you should consider Ron Luckenbill for the builder.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
nice! Hope mine turns out as well, using nate mckenzie redrock.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Nate builds a nice gun. Pay close attention to the "transition" area where the stock profile thins beginning at the rear ramrod pipe. He does his a little differently, some people like it, some don't. He is a master at making worn, weathered, and antique finishes on new metal.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
What's different? More or less meat? Not knowledgable in this.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Most builders would agree that transition is the hardest part. Chuck Dixon told me that also. Nates are a little bit "flatter" than a much more expensive gun. His are period correct, but not as round and refined as a gun that costs alot more. Its a matter of man hours, thats all.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Ok so more like a beaver tail forearm than a splinter.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
You got the idea. Look at the same type of gun that Nate built and one from someone else. Look at the profile from the side, you will see the difference. More expensive guns will be smoother and less abrupt at that transition. Its about $1000 difference, or 10 or 15 more hours work.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys and BlackBruin, make sure you post pics when you get it!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts