The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my first predator while hunting tonight. My brother and I just got everything we needed to go predator hunting for Christmas and our birthdays. This was my fifth trip out, my brother still hasn't made it out, but I think he will now that he sees I got one. My first trip I didn't see anything in 3 stands. Second I saw a big red fox, but couldn't get a shot, and that was the only stand of the night. Third I missed a fox at the only stand that night. Forth was nothing in one stand, but the wind was horrible and blowing in all directions, so I called it a night. Tonight, I caught this girl on the way to my first stand. Looking through the brush at first I thought it was a deer, walked about 10 more feet where it was clear and when I scoped it this time, not a deer! She was laying on top of a dirt mound waiting for some rabbits to run through the strip of pines. One shot with dad's old .22 LR and she rolled over, that was it. She's a beautiful grey, no rubbing, the only mark on her is her one ear looks like something took a bite out of it last year or really early this year. The only calling stand I got in didn't produce anything, and it looked like the weather we are supposed to get was on its way, so I called it a night. Actually I think I just wanted to get home and show it off before everyone went to bed!

Thanks to all you guys that post information on here. It helped me a lot. I'm the first predator hunter in my family, so I wasn't lucky enough to grow up around this kind of thing. I do get a lot of help from a friend of the family that might as well be family though. It is nice to have all this information at my finger tips too.

Thanks again,
Chris

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
WTG Chris. Don't forget tho, Fox season goes out Feb 16th.
YOu can still get after the coyotes tho.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I wanted to try to get one fox before the season went out. I quit trapping a couple weeks ago to avoid cathing fox and coon that were rubbed up, but just wanted one predator at night under my belt before I hit it hard next season. My brother is more interested in coyotes anyways, so I think if I can get him out, that's all we will be hunting till next season. He may want to try to squeeze in a fox in the next few nights though. He isn't as into the outdoors as I am. That is until I walk through the door with something. It's almost like he needs proof that it can be done, then he's ready to give it a try.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is indeed a Remington. I'm not sure how old it is. Dad had it when I was born (1984) so at the very least it is 29. It actually belongs to my brother now, but I lost the clip to my .22, plus I like this old Remington better than mine anyways. I've shot plenty of critters with that old .22, always been a great gun.

Thanks for all the congrats guys.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Its like a mini version of my 76 wingmaster thats why I want one, those guns just work right! how far do you move the pump to get a new shell in there?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys. I think I was hooked that first night I went out, even without seeing anything. It is like a whole different type of hunting than hunting in the daylight.

swpa87, I never measured it, but it isn't very far. I could shoot it about as fast as a semi, just wouldn't be as accurate.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts