The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was shad fishing on the Lower Susquehanna today. It was a slow pick on the shad but I kept seeing a few snakeheads swimming and breaking the surface so I tied on a red rattletrap and I was able to land 2. These fish have lots of sharp teeth and a very hard mouth. Both fish popped off as soon as I beached them. Not very hard fighters. Maybe the water is too cold for them to fight hard. I can't wait to try the meat. A very firm white meat with no bloodline. I hear they are excellent table fare. We will find out tonight.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That one looks Pretty big? Below the Conowingo by any chance?
Yes below Conowingo. I've seen a bunch of them from Deer Creek up to Fishermans Park the last couple of weeks while shad fishing. I lost a few but these were the first ones I've landed.

·
Super Moderator
6,157 Posts
I would have thought they would be hard fighters. I caught two bowins at Pymatuning a couple years ago, they put up a tussle. Same with eels.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would have thought they would be hard fighters. I caught two bowins at Pymatuning a couple years ago, they put up a tussle. Same with eels.
I've only hooked a few in my life and they have all been within the last week or two. They kind of thrash around and shake their head and with their hard mouth they throw the hook a lot. The water is still pretty cold too. I'm going to try and target them this summer and see if the fight is better.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Yes below Conowingo. I've seen a bunch of them from Deer Creek up to Fishermans Park the last couple of weeks while shad fishing. I lost a few but these were the first ones I've landed.
I fished there a few years back, very nice area. Anyone catching stripers yet?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I fished there a few years back, very nice area. Anyone catching stripers yet?
Oh yes the stripers are in. It is illegal to target them now (even for catch and release) in most of the bay and all the river. I had 2 hickory shad I was reeling in, destroyed by big rock last week. Helped a guy land one and release it today. He caught that one on a small live minnow. You can't target stripers until June 1 in the river. By then most of the really big ones have left.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice. Please let us know how they taste. I'm curious as well. (y)
Its a very good fish. Very mild and very dense. I just grilled a piece with a little drizzle of olive oil, some butter and a light sprinkle of old bay. Next time we will try it in chunks breaded in a 50/50 mixture of panko bread crumbs and parmesan cheese then bake at 400 until golden brown.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One way or the other, Kill em all. Non native invasive species that eats everything in it's path.
It's too late- they are here to stay. I saw my first one about 2 years ago and a few last year. This year I've seen at least 40 and the season has just started. The Chesapeake is loaded with them and they are also in the Delaware River so they are now part of the ecosystem and will spread. Hopefully the native species can adapt. At least they taste good.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Don't know if they still have them or not but quite a few years back they held "Eat the Invasives" tourneys down on the Potomac. After the weigh in local chefs cooked up the catch.

Last spring they got through the fish lift at the dam so they are already in the lower river in Pa,... They have been caught as far up on the Delaware as the Water Gap, I'd bet they are in the lower Lehigh + Skuke, plus any streams in southern Pa that dump into the Chesapeake or Delaware Bays.

Recreational fishing will not do squat to stop the spread.....A) guys like to catch them so they spread them, B) they spawn 2-3 times per year and C) there are places that people can't fish ie. Posted Property

Reactions: Whaler

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Caught 2 more today. Fished rattle traps for an hour with nothing then switched to a white 1/4 oz jighead with a 3.5" pearl paddletail and had 4 on and got 2 in. Also had 2 big carp - 17 lbs and 14 lbs hit the paddletail. They were fun in the current. They fought harder than the snakeheads.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
They have been reported in Ontelaunee up here in Berks now.... no doubt due to the "bucket biologists." No idea what is going to happen..... fishing took a major hit after the white perch infestation of the late 90's.... still wasn't back to pre white perch conditions but it was better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts