The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so after years and years of collecting and being fascinated with knives I finally decided it's time to try and make my own. As I mentioned in my other post, I really want to make a set of four, for my dad, me and my brothers as a gift for our first elk trip together in September. I figured I'd post the progress photos as I move through this process to get feedback as everything I'm doing was learned from watching countless youtube videos. I decided on AEB-L stainless and will be sending the blanks away once finished to have them hardened and tempered. The handles will be a mix of stabilized burl and curly maple. I started last night with making the first blank (below) and will slowly be moving through the rest over the next few months so bear with me if there are some breaks in the updates. If you guys see anything I'm doing wrong please let me know lol.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Looks very nice. Now getting the grinds on both sides to match take your time when grinding be safe good luck. Thanks and be safe

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well blacksmith, that was my biggest fear and last night I decided to give it a shot. After I started I quickly realized that with the width of the knife and the thickness of the blade that the bevels were coming almost the whole way up the blade. After seeing this I thought to myself "why not just bevel the full width of the blade", that way it would look like one piece of smooth steel instead of actually seeing where the bevel starts. I don't know if this is an acceptable practice so I'm really interested to hear feedback. Here's some pics after I finished grinding in the bevels. I took 10 minutes or so and did a quick sand and polish so I could see the deeper scratches better but this knife hasn't been treated yet. I figure it's be best to get those scratches out and do as much sanding as I could before it's hardened. Any advice, comments or criticism is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So I got the remaining three cut out last night. I like the middle two but the bottom one needs to go on a diet. It's just a little bigger than I'd like for a hunting knife.

Reactions: blackpowder

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can't seem to open pictures??? Thanks

Can you see them now? Google images is terrible and never likes to share images. I switched to Imgur.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pics are showing fine. Second from the top is looking great. I like that shape.
Thanks loridr, that's my favorite one. I'm just trying a bunch of different things with the shapes and playing around with them. The bottom one is a lot different now after some grinding. I'm hoping to have them ready for heat treat here shortly and post some more pics.

Reactions: loridr

·
Registered
622 Posts
Thanks loridr, that's my favorite one. I'm just trying a bunch of different things with the shapes and playing around with them. The bottom one is a lot different now after some grinding. I'm hoping to have them ready for heat treat here shortly and post some more pics.
Nothing beats doing it. I have plenty of mistakes but have plenty of nice ones. The ratio is getting better. It is nice that they are not all the same none of my knives are identical. Good Luck. P.S. talk to your heat treat guy about how much stock to leave on edge?? Usually I don't put sharp edge on till done heattreat

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the heads up on that. I wasn't planning on putting any edge on them. I just have the bevels cut in but the edge is still a flat surface.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Bearklr, one of the things I do when starting a new pattern is set and handle the blade in all sorts of positions I may use it, over and over again. This will let you make minor adjustments to the profile. You will find that not all patterns will fit every hand.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Bearklr, one of the things I do when starting a new pattern is set and handle the blade in all sorts of positions I may use it, over and over again. This will let you make minor adjustments to the profile. You will find that not all patterns will fit every hand.
The last one, the point on the bottom of the handle might bother you after using if you have big hands like mine. Feel it and see The others are rounded doesn't have to be a lot to feel good. Thanks keep up the good work they look nice. I was picking one out for the next knife swap!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts