The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only taken up hunting in the last 4 years as a serious past time, and finally got my first deer last week. I'd been hunting small game (crows, pheasants, squirrels, etc.) and only been deer hunting a few times (due to my job and location I don't get many opportunities to hunt big game) but never with any success. I'd been reading on this forum and a few others for advice (thank you to all who shared your collective wisdom on here) and decided to use a .270Winchester shooting 130 grain bullets for my big hunt. I practiced, practiced, and practiced some more shooting off a bench and from a standing and sitting position to get comfortable with my rifle. I decided to make a calibration curve for my bullet flight (the error bars at each distance were the result of the group spread in a 5 shot group), and had a trained armorer assist me with cleaning the trigger and bedding my action to get the rifle shooting 1-1.5" groups at 100 yards.
[img:center]
I eventually found myself on a mound overlooking a frozen pond toward the end of the final thursday of rifle season when a doe stepped out of the woods about 160 yards away. She approached the pond and I decided that light was starting to dim and there was no way she would ever come any closer than the edge of the pond. I slowly sat down to get in position to take a shot at about 140 yards. When she turned broadside, I squeezed the trigger like I'd practiced 100s of time before and watched my deer drop right in the scope.
[img:center][url="http://s357.photobucket.com/user/alexj_88/media/2014Doe-Landscape_zpsfb513235.jpg.html"]
Before my trip I thought I enjoyed hunting, now that I've harvested my first deer, butchered it, and made my first meal from the meat I realized I am hopelessly addicted! Already counting down to the start of next season!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should also note that this was a public land hunt in northwest PA and I had a very experienced hunter with me to show how to gut and butcher the deer!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Very well done and kuddos for your preparation leading up to the hunt. I find it enjoyable after the harvest to process it and prepare meals from nature. There is just something about it. Good luck to years to come and welcome to the addiction.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
be careful before you know it you will get into archery, inline, flintlock and be broke in no time

congrats on your first kill and welcome to the sport. I got to share my buddies first kill this year and like you he has been at if for 4 years. It was great to see him finally meet his goal.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Like other firsts in your life, you will never forget your first deer. I remember mine like it was yesterday even though it was 40 years ago!

Congratulations on your first and good luck in the future.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts