The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it was back in 1963 & I was only 12 years old. I was just thrilled that Dad took me up to Sullivan County Doe hunting. It was just he & I on trip. I didnt go Buck huntin since Dad said I was just a tad too young then & he wanted to break me in on a Doe after Buck Season closed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

We hunted SGL 134 in the morning. Dad put me on a stand and he just went over the ridge a piece. I was Junior Hunter but I was within yellin range for sure. About 7:30 I heard Dad's ole 760 06 bark and I almost sh!t my pants! Dad yelled to come over & he had a nice doe. He showed me how to gut a deer. We drug back to his ole Chevy truck & Dad said he would try to drive one to me. We headed back out on the mountain.

He set me up on a stand and made a big circle to try to push some deer to me. I was watchin a lil clearing with an ole 35 Rem Pump. One of those old spiralled forend jobs. Open sights of course. My GranPap bot it for me.

It was a silent drive by Dad. About 1 hr after he left me I saw 3 Doe sneakin along edge of lil clearing coming out of thick hemlocks. Man did I ever start to get Buck..I mean Doe Fever. I put the ole buckhorn open sight on what I thought was the largest and squeezed off. I thought I saw the deer drop was wasnt sure. I was actually shaking by then. I just sat there & didnt move just as Dad told me to do after the shot. In about 10 minutes I heard Dad yell...was that you Larry that shot? I yelled back yes. Dad came out of hemlocks exactly where my deer was laying.

I will never forget that Hug & congrats from my Dad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Dad said, ok, gut it. Well, what an experience but I got the job done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif We drug deer to truck & it was a hunt I will always cherish.

Sorta ironic, 24 years later in 1987 I was with Dad on his "last hunt" when he killed his last deer. Same mountain but on other side. I killed a doe in the morning this trip & Dad connected late in the day, just opposite our very first deer hunt together. I helped him drag his deer out. A drag i will never forget. Stopping at lil springs to drink, rest, talk. My Dad wasnt feeling good and didnt have the strength he used to have. Dad died that Spring just 4 months later from pancreatic cancer at a young age of 54. Same strain Michael Landon had...no hope.

Lost my best friend & huntin buddy but his "Spirit of the Hunt" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif is with me on every hunting & fishing trip I take. I own Dad's huntin Camp he left me. In my Camp is a pic of my Dad with a 383 lb. Bear he took on same mountain I took my first & Dad took his last deer. His bear was killed in 1963...the first year I hunted but I wasnt on that trip with Dad..lil too young like Dad said. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My Dad was a great hunter, sportsman, woodsman, taxidermist & most of all my best friend. I credit the foundation of all my hunting & fishing skills to a loving Dad who took time to teach me the things in this World that are so important. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Heres a pic of my beloved Dad & his 383 lb.Bear. Pic is hangin in my Huntin Camp:

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
Awesome Loggy!!!

That is the kind of stuff that helps you wake up at 4 in the morning on the first Thursday when freezing rain is pelting the window of camp.....don't matter, time to do it again and visit those spots and spirits that mean so much.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifThanks much guys for all your kind replies.

You bet RB, a lil freezin rain aint gonna dampen my Spirit for sure! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
683 Posts
Good post loggy. It brought tears to my eyes, one, because your father sounds like the kind they just don't make anymore...and two, because my Dad sounds like a similar character and I lost him last year to kidney failure and a host of other surgical complications. I hunt in Loleeta and Hallton, where my Dad used to take me. Although the hunting isn't all that good there anymore...it really doesn't matter. I'm sure you all know what I mean. Any man can be a father...but it takes a real man to be a Dad.

·
Registered
345 Posts
**** St. Mary's...I guess I couldn't have said it better myself.

I am sorry for your losses and I do NOT look forward to that day in spite of the fact that I know it will come sooner than later. Things will never be the same for me either, but hunt knowing that he is with you each and every day. Go on with the same passion for life and life of the hunt as though he were right by your side and you can never go wrong. Those before us will forever be the epitomy of the sport and the best we can hope for is that we are able to leave behind the same legacy that they did for us.....

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
really nice story. I have some like most with my father. It is good to remember the fun we had with our past" hunting buddies". bBut Loggy I know my dad is out there with me every time I head out into the woods/water. I can FEEL him!

KOZ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
238 Posts
WoW what a story /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ...I gotta say..sure I love shooting deer and all of that good stuff...but its the memories of me and my father(still alive ,god bless his soul) that mean more than anything else in my life...

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks much for all your kind comments. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As hunting Season is upon us I will be spending alot of time at my huntin camp & gee whiz, those memories are as fresh as ever. Its so nice hearing all your posts in this "Spirit of the Hunt Forum" about things that have left behind such fond memories. We as hunters sharing time afield & even as alone have something unique & precious in a world of fast moving meaningless/temporal things. Keep on a postin guys!

Hey, as we all move forward we are creating memories for the future! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbs.gif

·
Registered
575 Posts
Great story Loggy. Sounds a lot like my Dad that I lost in 89 to cancer. I now carry his favorite hunting knife and use it to field dress my deer. Believe it or not the first time I did that and several times since I have had the distinct feeling of someone leaning over my shoulder as I dressed the deer. I have even turned to look but the woods were empty. I figure that Dad is still right there so now I just invite him to be there with me and it sure is good to have his spirit if not his body with me. Lost him in 89 but still miss my best huntin buddy.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifThanks RB for the refresh & PRR/RB for such kind words. When i recollect my first & last hunt with Dad ..needless to say it brings a lump to my throat.

PRR, your Dad's knife is as precious as anything this World has to offer despite all its perceived shiny treasures.

There are likely so many other Folks out there that share such memories which would be great to hear from /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
My father didn't think hunting was anything but a waste of time. He died when I was only 21 years old. I hold this against him because I never got a chance to get to know him the way an adult man knows his father. At 21, I was just starting to move into adulthood (LOL). I envy those of you who got to hunt with your fathers. It must have been really special.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.