The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all shoot before the season but do you test yourself to make certain all would have gone as planned had you had an opportunity? At the end of every Flinter season I test myself and my gun. I usually carry 5 shots. 1 in the clean gun and 4 speed loads. I go to the 50 yard range and shoot those 5 shots to make sure I knew exactly what I was doing. Will the first 2 go down barrel with just a prelubed patch. Will the last 2 with just a dab of bore butter? Will it go off 5 times without fiddling with the Flint or clearing the touch hole. Finally will I hit anything offhand. I really hate surprises. Was I really ready? Turns out I was. Within 5 minutes I knew. 1st and last in the bull the other 3 within 6 inches, again off hand at 50 yards. I know I wasn't on the side of a mountain. I know I wasn't breathing hard from some crazy walk up Everest. What may I have forgotten? Do you guys do anything similar?

·
Registered
27 Posts
no i dont but i sounds fun ill take the test when the 3 feet of snow melts ill post results by the way what kind of flinter are you taking the test with ill be taking it with a buckskinner 50 cal
b44mag

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
you can say i do that every other weekend and every tues and thurs night a different ranges 15 to 20 shoots a nite meat shoot or money we allhave fun

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I have been to a few woodswalks and I plan to go to more. Best pratice ever and a fun bunch of guys

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I try to get ready before the M`loader seasons by setting up a Cardboard Deer. I will only give myself a few seconds for the first shot and load and shoot as fast as I can for the second one. I can usually get a killing shot on the imitation Deer.
The best Woodswalk target I have shot at is at Samples Border Rangers. They have a cardboard Deer hooked up to a Bicycle. You only have a narrow opening to get in a killing shot! And, if you have a misfire, no second chance!

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Soupe---awesome post!!! I do something very similar since I have a 50 yard range next to the house. I do it just to get rid of my loaded gun and then to empty out the speed loaders. I have a frying pan on top of my targets that I shoot at for fun. All hit the pan at 50 yards while I lean on one of my trees.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
AgesofDays said:
I wish people up here shot flintlocks ,
You can have one shipped there. Sure you might get some slack from your buddies, but at least you can have fun.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
54 cal will do a great job for deer, elk, and moose!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a .54 Lyman deer stalker with 80 grain of FFF a .15 prelubed patch around a .535 round ball. Just for the record Bunky no tree lean, too hard to find in the middle of our HPA drives(and drivers have more fun). Unfortunately no fry pans either. Not allowed at my range but that would be sweet! We welcome pretty much anyone. We would love to have you down here.

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
I only look at the 1st shot.Thats the one that counts.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
AgesofDays said:
I already do but I wanted more people to shoot up here so I had someone to shoot with,noone seems interested
You must have shot the last one
. After making several trips close by to you to a farm with great deer habitat I never even seen one. Actually, I spent a great deal of time in northern VT from when I was a kid up to a few years ago, and I never once saw a deer. Moose? yes, but never a deer.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I'll repeat what hunt/fish said, you must have shot the last one there too!

Maybe I'll find one more over there tomorrow. Heading to the area in 10 min.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts