The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She is a short hair pointer and she gets a rash on her stomach after we hunt. Does anyone have this problem or has used any products that work to prevent it?

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Her underside is getting rubbed by the brush and cover she is running through. Some people put a chest protector/skid plate on their dog to help. I'm not sure how they work out for people.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Like bwire said, the rash is caused by the cover and it seems to be worse earlier when that cover is greener. It should get better as the cover dies or gets beat down by the weather.

I have a hard charging english pointer with the same trouble. The chest protector may work, but it can also rub and cause its own problems. I wait until I get home and scrub her with mild soap or cleanser(I use Cetaphil) and a rough washcloth. If the rash gets any puss-filled spots the next day, I wash it again. I found that giving a benedryl right after we hunt/train in heavier cover can also help. Applying an ointment like A&D, first aid cream or even vaseline to your dogs chest and abdomen before your hunt helps to lessen the rash/scratches too.

Good luck and if you find a way to stop the problem, let us know!

·
Registered
59 Posts
My pointer also has the same trouble , but where the chest meets his fronts (armpit area), I do the same as Irish Joe ,except I use Neosporin after I wash the area.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My English Setter would get the same rash after running him. Since he lives in the house I give him a bath after our runs. I found that antibacterail (sp) dog shampoo helps out allot.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
If you'd go to your vet they will probably tell you it's Contact Dermatitis. You could go skid plate, another option would be salmon oil on her food. The omega's in it should thicken her coat up a bit if it's a little think underneath.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts