The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was tired of hunting ladder stands in the freezing cold and rain so I decided to build a permanent stand this year big enough for two or three people. It is coming along nicely.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Nice. nuttin like that in the holler.Winders and a door,fancy! Smart thinkin with the fire escape ladder. All kidding aside it beats my tripod stand in 20degree weather

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hunted in a ladder stand for the last 4 years before deciding to finally build this. It's a little bit of an investment but the location is excellent. 4 bucks were shot out of the same area last year. Some of the material is new and some is recycled. The door was off of my basement and the wood used to frame the walls was used for concrete forms at my house this year. Everything exposed to the weather is treated for durability.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Nice lookin stand, grab a portable propane heater and your're set. The land I hunt, the landowner has a stand like that, I hunted out of it last year during the polar vortex. The owner had a portable heater in the stand, thinking I wouldnt need to use it since I was protected from the wind I didnt light it. Well, after about 4 hours in the stand the heater was begging for me to light it, I obliged.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got a big buddy heater for christmas last year. Plans are to set it up on a 20lb propane tank that sits outside the stand.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Current progress. I would have had the exterior completed but I broke one of the new Windows yesterday.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I was wondering if anyone building this type of stand had any issues with seeing deer. With a regular ladder stand I think more mature deer steer clear as it is something different in their area. Now when a big structure like this one gets erected in their area, what is the result? Do they get used to it? Is the first few years slow? Just wondering. Sure would be easier to sit long in that stand.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Looks like you could just live in that stand for the entire buck season. Impressive!

·
Registered
12,254 Posts
Zrabfan30 said:
I was wondering if anyone building this type of stand had any issues with seeing deer. With a regular ladder stand I think more mature deer steer clear as it is something different in their area. Now when a big structure like this one gets erected in their area, what is the result? Do they get used to it? Is the first few years slow? Just wondering. Sure would be easier to sit long in that stand.
No issues seeing deer. I have always built them in the summer so they have a couple months to get used to it.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Wow nice stand obvious you put some effort into it.
Like the dark toned exterior.
Enjoy the view while being comfy!

As for my theory on deer avoiding stands...depends on where it was put.
If its a funnel that they can not avoid it does not change things but if possible mature bucks will skirt around them.
I decided to not build one so far but maybe next year,I do more archery hunting(xbow)the weather can be bad but not as bad as firearm season.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts