The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
12,845 Posts
We use to hunt up that way all the time and it was beautiful in the fall with the leaves changing and all the birds passing through. I missed several shots because I was watching hawks circle over head and not paying attention to what I was there for.
Before, you could drive thru the visitors parking area and park where SGL 106 butted up to the sanctuary. We took a lot of deer from that area, especially Monks Bog. Then they stopped you from driving across and you had to use the visitors parking area and walk back. The walk never bothered me but guys getting out of their vehicles wearing hunting clothes and carrying guns leaving the trucks in parking lots full of nature people sounded like a good way to be replacing windshields, so we started coming in to Weiser/SGL 106 from the Port Clinton side and parking at the fire tower and walking down. Down was easy, coming out with deer was a haul.
It was/is a great area to hunt or spend the day admiring nature

· Registered
12,845 Posts
For the permits to hunt in the sanctuary area they were a lottery draw, I think Albany and Windsor residences got first crack. I applied 2 or 3 times but never even heard back.

Jim, if your going to the top and walking down try walking down the road that goes towards the reservoir over in Hamburg. It is about a half mile before you get to the tower lot on the right hand side. There is a fair amount of deer we took from there and also about 300 Ft from the gated road on the left is worth a look too.
It is a big gouged out area and that was where we parked when we hunted that area for doe. There were log roads that run all through there and I always saw deer and turkey.
One of my hunting buddies is a Phila fireman and he hunts there often and except for Saturday does not get much pressure at all.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.