The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to leave the crossbow in the trunk and hike up to the North Lookout this morning. Rather than staring off through the laurel and beech brush for deer movement, I stared instead to the northeast watching for big raptors migrating along the Kittitinny Ridge. Fifty plus redtails and three golden eagles made my hike worthwhile.

To complete the day, I drove over to Dixon's Muzzleloader Shop for some unnecessary necessities, and then headed back west on Rt. 78 to Hamburg and Cabela's. A cold, windy day on Hawk Mt. necessitates the need for a hot bowl of ******'s Chili!

Tomorrow will be another day of hunkering down to await Mr. Big with Kate and the family.

· Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Diablo, It is a great spot to witness the Fall migration of raptors. The migration is slowing down quite a bit now, but if you enjoy seeing the big raptors; redtails, golden eagles, goshawks, red-shouldered hawks, harriers, and a rare glimpse of a rough-legged hawk, now's the time to go.

Hunters aren't in great numbers among the patrons, so I always make sure to wear something camoflage, an NRA hat, etc. Something to signify that I shoot and eat wild things. You tend to get an area of rocks to yourself to enjoy your day in peaceful disharmony.

· Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've often thought about driving up the Weiser State Forest road, but my old Neon was complainin' by the time I got to the Hawk Mt. parking lot yesterday! It wouldn't be worth much (not worth much now), by the time I climbed that road.

I was just out on the deck watching for stray migrants, and turned in time to see a handsome six pointer meandering his way through the soybean field behind the house. I suppose I should have been out there this morning with the crossbow! But, then you have to field dress 'em, drag 'em, hang 'em, butcher 'em, and wrap 'em!

Actually, the wife has my day planned from beginning to end.

· Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My newsletter stated that the trails on the Sanctuary would be closed the first two days of rifle season. Probably for the reason you state.

I've never hunted up there, but know that at one time you could get a permit to hunt antlerless deer on the Sanctuary's property. Climbing to the North Lookout is enough climbing for me these days!

You are correct. It would be difficult to concentrate on deer watching when the hawk migration is in full swing.

· Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been a member up there for years, and thought that might give me an in to getting a permit to hunt there with the flintlock. I stopped in the Visitor's Center and inquired about the procedure for getting a permit. I got the feeling I must have resembled an alien, and was firmly informed that permits were not available. I think you need to know someone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.