The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I said in one of my previous post that there were certain animals that evoke "Africa" when you see them; this animal is one of those for me. The idea of an African Safari came from my former boss, who had been there five times, who enlightened me to how affordable it could be. I booked my hunt shortly before he booked his sixth safari. He kept on talking about how he really wanted a male baboon for his trophy room, but the large males had eluded him in his previous trips. Of course as soon as I heard him talk about it, I knew I wanted one too. Many of the animals that are inherently African a well out of my price range, however a baboon was certainly not, and when anyone sees it they immediately think of Africa. It was the cheapest trophy to shoot (free) but is definitely my favorite mount of the collection. I could not be happier with the work. Below is one picture of me with the tracker, Welcome, and the baboon. The picture of the finished work is from my taxidermist, the mount is posted on his websites gallery. I chose to post his picture because he takes better pics than I do. On a side note, my former boss, after six safaris, still does not have his baboon and unfortunately due to health reasons will probably not make a seventh trip to the dark continent.

·
Registered
228 Posts
THAT'S FREAKIN' AWESOME, CONGRATS ON A UNIQUE TROPHY

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Keep posting, these are great stories and mounts!

Did the baboon get into water before it died, or did your tracker give it a wash due to blood/mud being all over it?

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
That is awesome but I'd never be allowed to have that in the house, that would freak the wife right out! hahaha

·
Registered
293 Posts
they are so funny looking! i love it. i would like to have one.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The baboon did run through water after the shot. I shot him with 22-250, sitting, quartering towards. The exit wound was nearly large enough to fit my fist in. The exit was on the side which is visible in the picture. My taxidermist did a great job. I will post some pictures of the entire room after all the posts. Thanks to all for posting.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Those are down right nasty critters. The teeth aren't just for show, and they know how to use 'um. Nice trophy and congrats . . . sorry your hunting partner will not be able to complete a dream, but going to Africa even once is awesome.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
LOOKS LIKE MY BUDDYS WIFE. EXCEPT HER TEETH ARE BIGGER.
I fully expected a mother in law comment from someone.

As for them being nasty, there is at least one documented, and probably many undocumented (deep in the bush) instance of a baboon going into a home and stealing a human child.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
FrankDegamma said:
That is really neat...keep posting, I may not comment though I am enjoying your collection.
Was thinking the exact same thing last night. I haven't commented but I'm loving the pics and the write ups going along with them.

This particular mount is awesome and so unique. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Any chance you could repost these pics?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts