The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have been pretty busy with work and home stuff and missed a week of posting. So I am going to post animals 4 and 5 this week. Animal 4 is a common spring buck taken in June 2007 in the Eastern Cape of South Africa. The animal was taken on our first day of hunting and is nice representative trophy of the spring buck in the area. I would love to get back to Africa and take a black and white spring buck to go with it, but I do believe the common is the most beautiful of the three. The next animal is a mountaing reed buck taken on my second day in Africa. We were on our way to a property to hunt zebra and happened across him on our way to the ranch. It was a short stock, the easiest of all my animals in Africa which is contradictory to their typical behavior. This was by far my best trophy I took in Africa. Upon shooting it my PH said "you have no idea what you have shot" and he was right. I was/am not a member of SCI and did not even consider joining to get any trophies in the book. I did not have it officially entered however my taxidermist is an official scorer and it measures 14 7/8". I did look in the book to see where it would rank and don't remember exactly, I believe it would be top 20ish but may be mistaken. Either way I could not be happier with the mount and hunt. Any SCI members on here who can give me its ranking?

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Well, your rank depends. If it's a "southern" mountain reedbuck you'd be tied for 25th overall and 23rd with a rifle.

If it's a Chanler Mountain Reedbuck you'd rank #2 overall and #2 with a rifle.

Finally, if it's a Western Mountain Reedbuck you'd rank #1 by 4 inches. However, since all of the other entries are Camaroon my guess is you didn't shoot one of these.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts