The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
28,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to take a moment from the hustle of the holiday season to reflect on the 2012 we had together on HuntingPA.com and of course wish each and every person that comes thru here daily, weekly , annually , that I have met or those I have not the very best of holidays and the best of years in 2013 (despite the odds of that ).

When you “run” a website such as this you pretty much have to find the time to stop in every day, no matter the time of year so you see or get taste for how things are progressing or digressing. In those stops you see some great things happening and also not so great things taking place and I guess that is true in any community on-line or otherwise. There will be those that thank you personally for the kind acts of a fellow HPAer as if you had something to do with it and this humbles you in the fact you had nothing to do with this kindness short of keeping this platform going. And of course there are those that will scold you endlessly til your grave also based on the acts of others, as if somehow you are responsible for the actions and opinions of the thousands that come here to do what they do. It wears you down, lifts you up, the good with the bad, the petty and meaningful and at the end of the year you stack it all up and reflect on it, a lot like you would on a hunting season.

Well 2012 was a great year in the terms of traffic stats and growth, and all that stuff that tells you how much this site is visited, growth to the point where we needed a new server platform. HPA has grown to where it cannot share a server sandbox with anyone else anymore so I guess we are growing up and reaching out in a positive direction there. But then there is the personal side, the feel for the year you get when you sum up the 365 days that you visited the site, the part that dips or lifts the soul and desire for it and honestly I think 2012 was a very bad year for unity and strength of sportsmen overall and it has me very troubled. From the split over outdoor issues, to our split over trends and methods of hunting, to the split over alliances we have elsewhere, to our split at the ballot box. I think 2012 was a year in which more wanted to split and divide than unite and support and yes that worries me , deep down and personally. I mean that trend is just Par for the course in the outside world we now live in, seems everyone out there is at odds with each other anymore, but in the world of Sportsmen and Hunters? When did that happen? What makes it happen? and can we not turn it off? I can tell you I spent more treestand hours this year than ever before staring at the bark of the tree directly in front of me thinking about that then I did scanning the horizon for what I was supposedly after, that tells me it is no passing storm we face and I ask everyone take that thought into 2013 with them , 2012 was the first year I felt it dominated our ranks. I will get off my soapbox now as this message was to be of better heart than this, but I wanted to use this soapbox one more time to try to redirect even a few or at least just delay it one more day as this holiday season may be the last one where the podium is mine.

Now to the good stuff. To the dedicated HPA staff, our sponsors, to every single member and visitor of this board, to the friends I made this year and even to those with whom my friendship has gone sour and are reading this, I wish to you all the most blessed of holidays! Be blessed in family, be blessed in spirit, and be blessed in the fond memory of those you miss. I do believe it is getting to the point where what is inside is going to have to lift you above what is facing us outside each and every day of our lives, so make it a point to strengthen that core with the good times and have no fear in putting it to the test when thing are bad. Lend a hand when a hand is needed and also be humbled and thankful in the fact that there are still those that will offer you one when in need. With the thousands that visit here we no doubt lost some of our fellow members and never knew it, and to those that spent some of their time here with us discussing what they love, to you I send a special blessing and hope for heaven.

Find just a few minutes no matter the date on the calendar and have a silent and holy night when you can. God Bless all those I share a huge part of my life with all year long and may 2013 treat you the way we should treat it, as a blessing because we will not get it back to do over and are one year closer to well... Be blessed and never take it for granted. May our common heritage remove our current differences ain't it about time.

RB aka John and family

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Merry Christmas to you and yours as well.

May all HPA'ers have a Happy, Healthy New Year.

Remember those in the Military who are standing watch, away from Family and loved ones, so we can enjoy peace and freedom in the greatest nation in the world, the United States of America.

Remember, Jesus is the reason for the season.

·
Premium Member
4,388 Posts
<span style="font-weight: bold"> Thanks, John....

May the blessings of the CHRISTmas season fill the hearts of you & yours w/ love, joy, & laughter...

The very best the new year has to offer.....</span>

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well said.

Happy Hollidays to everyone.

Take a minute to remember those loved ones who aren't with us as well as the children and teachers of the Sandy Hook Elementary School.

·
Registered
28,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow page 2 already...guessed I pick the wrong forum for christmas greetings .LOL

·
Registered
303 Posts
John, best wishes for the New Year to you and yours, also. Thanks again for providing one of my favorite places to visit. And thanks also for the values you adhere to, and the respect that you convey to everyone on here. I am so glad to have "met" you.
Regards,
George

·
Registered
28,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You too OM (george), if i ever get really lost in potter county we may just meet there in tioga...

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Merry Christmas, John. Wow, your kids sure are growing up. I still remember when your son caught a bass on the S.S. Titanic during the first perch trip.

And, Merry Christmas to all the members of HPA.

·
Banned
234 Posts
The smiles on the whole familys face says it all. Thats what its all about.

Here is to hoping that we all have a happy safe holiday season!

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
Merry Christmas to a truly dedicated outdoorsman and true family man, and a thank you for all you do on HPA.......

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Merry Christmas to you and your family John. You have a way with words that really puts things into perspective. Thanks for providing this platform that we all use to talk, share stories and even blow off steam

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Have a peaceful Christmas with the ones who matter most .As stated before ,John , it has been a real treat watching the kids grow up here on the boards .Your son is surely the spitting image of you ! Thanks for sharing the stories and operating a great site !!

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Thank You

And Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to your Family.
(you may want to hold back on the the wild game,your oldest has already passed you up)

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Merry Christmas to you and your family John.
Thanks for another year of providing a quality place where sportsmen can meet to share their thoughts and experience.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts