The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy wants to get into deer/bear hunting and he already has his mind set on a .308. The problem is that he doesn't want to spend a lot of money on a rifle since he only starting again, and I don't want to push him into buying a gun that he can't afford. He has narrowed down his choices to a Savage Axis or a Ruger American. He has held both guns, just doesn't know which is better. What are your opinions on the guns and which one would you buy if you were him.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Allow me to add something about the Ruger American rifle. I read articles and seen video's on you tube about there clips failing to rotate (has a rotary clip) to chamber the 2nd round. They recommend filing some plastic off LOL. Anyways I went to my local gun dealer to look at one in a 223 cal. I was serious buying one count of the price. I asked if i could load the clip and push shells out with my finger or if he could. I don't believe everything i read or hear, but in this case it failed. I stood there waiting about 15 seconds watching the shell come around slowly. I lost interested at that point buying a Ruger American. I saved a few hundred $ more and bought a Browning X Bolt.

Before your buddy buys a Ruger American have him ask the seller if he could do the test for him. They say Ruger will send a new clip free of charge. I wouldn't recommend filing the inside and outside clip. $350.00 - $400.00 i expect a reliable firearm.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Flip a coin. It's like asking Ford or Chevy. They will both get the job done in a 308. Tie breakers may be how the trigger feels, I have heard guys complain about the Axis triggers at the range. Another may be if he can find one with a scope, or a few bucks less.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
flip a coin
I haven't had a factory ruger that I was thrilled with the performance. Good fit and function but larger groups. More then adequate for hunting though.
Savage resale value probably stinks. If he ever wants to upgrade.

·
Registered
182 Posts
i would go with the ruger:

i'm very biased 2 of my 3 big game rifles are rugers and have heard a lot of good to great things about the ruger american

i also have heard a lot of good about the ruger customer service whether it be a Ruger #1 or a Ruger American

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I would go with the Ruger and I'm a huge Savage fan (I own numerous Savage and stevens rifles). I bought an Axis when they first came out but would never buy another. For some reason, I just don't like them. I have an American Ranch in 300 blackout and an American
Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor and have not had any issues with either. In fact, the 6.5 creedmoor is the most accurate factory rifle I own. For around the same price, I would recommend a T/C Venture over both

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm very biased towards Ruger, which I have two of them for rifle hunting. And I know there are a lot of guys out there with a lot more experience with other makes of guns. Thank you guys with all the advice.

·
Super Moderator
8,069 Posts
I'm going to proceed carefully here. If this is of no use to your buddy, then just ignore it.

Buying a gun to a price, and ONLY a price, isn't the best thing to do, imho.

Even worse, to set a low budget, rule out used guns means he's really limited his choices.

Has he handled the rifles he's considering? I often see people looking at such rifles sight-unseen, meaning that've read about them online or in hunting magazines, but they haven't handled them.

What is his experience level with rifles? Does he know what he's looking for?

This would all make me really uneasy that this isn't going to provide a good end result.

I know he's just getting set up, but it sounds like he's going into it planning to get back out of it again and trying to minimize his investment so that he doesn't lose much when he quits again.

Maybe I'm wrong...I HOPE I'm wrong....but that's the impression I get in situations like this.

No, I don't think he needs to spend thousands on a rifle, but I always suggest folks really look at what's out there, really look at gun shops at used racks and see what's out there. There's really good stuff to be had. Most of my rifles didn't come to me NIB. I've gotten a few NIB rifles, but not many.

And while this is far from the rule, I once walked into a gunshow and bought a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in 30-06 for less than people were selling new Ruger Americans at the same show. I had three offers to buy it (all at a profit for me) before I left the show. I did not sell.

(And to date, that rifle is one of my most reliable.)

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Absolutely no reason to not consider used. A rifle isn't like a car or a boat. If it's in good condition, it's in good condition. No engine, transmission, electronics, cooling system, body and frame, etc.... what's the worst case scenario? A spring or firing pin? Most used rifles are being sold because the owner doesn't have time for them and they sit in the gun cabinet.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
No reason not to consider used unless he only wants to spend around $300. At that price there is nothing on the used racks worth having.
You're probably right with that last statement. But that wouldn't stop me from looking at the used rack. You might find a steal. You never know.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.