The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planted this about July 18 or so. Its a blend from Wildlife Perfect. Not saying its the best blend in the world, but just something I wanted to play with.

Almost 2 ft tall last weekend. Lots of food in this plot for the critters.

·
Registered
570 Posts
WOW looks good. Do they hit that at all in archery season or only the last week or two?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some activity in archery, but I don't hunt near it.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, of course, it has seed that is trademarked, but, of course, we ALL know its just generic seeds they put a name to.

Mostly, I'm guessing, it's just forage brassicas that don't produce much in the way of bulbs.

BTW, Threeinch, this brassica blend is also sold at G&G in Manheim. They are out of it just now, but Jim can get it. Also sold at Rohrer's in Smoketown.

It's produced by AMPAC seeds, which is one of the largest seed producers in the US.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BTW, lots of 46-0-0 went on this plot. Applied some and disced it in at planting, then applied some about a month after germinating. Gave it a little more last weekend in a spot I missed.

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Might give that a shot next year.I had some rape that was so so planted third week in july.Nailed it again with some urea and it made a difference.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, it likes nitrogen.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Looks great Brad. I need to start adding more nitrogen to mine. The deer are already hitting mine, gonna have to nail a bunch of does this year me thinks.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CJBS2003 said:
Nothing better than that first hard freeze when that stuff turns sugar sweet and the deer go nuts on that stuff!
I still am not convinced about the frost theory. I have a small plot that has been wiped out in a spot that has too much food. This plot is not being used at all.

Have seen brassica plots planted by the PGC that were wiped out well before any frost by deer that had little to eat.

I don't know what to think. Part of the frost theory IMO is that everything else in the woods gets killed by frost and the brassica is the only green thing left.

Anyway, I just like the idea that using it provides a great deal of food at the end of the growing season.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
All - in my neck of the woods the frost theory doesn't hold up either. I planted 3.5 acres across 3 plots of pure brassicas and 1.5 acres across 3 plots with brassicas being a minor element of a mix. The deer are already hitting the forage components of the brassica mix.
My deer are well acclimated to brassicas because I've been planting them for almost a decade. The first year I planted them they weren't touched until Thanksgiving week. Since then hit them as they become established.
On good mast years, like this one, they will back off once the acorn drop accelerates. It looks like I'm going to have good growth so time will tell when the final utilization will occur. I've had dirt fields in November before hunting season starts ranging to green fields well into January. Time will tell.
I've never shot a deer in a brassica field and don't intend to this year either. I'll be hunting the oaks. If they pass through the oaks on the way to the field I'll be ready.

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Frost theory never held up for us either.Maybe with turnip tops more then rape.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you look at turnip leaves, it's "fuzzy" on the underside. Deer don't seem to care for that. Dwarf Essex Rape has no fuzz and they tend to hammer that early and leave the turnip greens for later.

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
yepper,they go for our rape,then turnip tops and lastly the turnips.Those things stink if some are left to rot.

I'm trying a plot this year in straight rape.Brad do you like the dwarf or others?

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
If deer are hungry enough, they'll eat anything... I have seen deer eat brassicas well before they have sweetened up with frost. That is in areas with high deer populations where the deer are starving. In areas with normal deer populations, they don't eat the brassicas early. I see it a lot in the food plots in northern VA outside Washington DC. 300 deer per square mile can make deer very hungry.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts