The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Usually im posting in the trout forum and usually fishing for wild browns, But lately have been fishing some for bass. Lookin at buying a boat but for now just been shore fishing.

Well today was a crazy day. Showed up at the lake at 9am and it was pouring down rain. Decided to leave the tackle box in the truck and just take my senko selection and assorted hooks for them. No real camera, No tape or scale. All in the tackle box. Caught a fair amount of smaller fish until I hooked into something I knew right away was big. When all was said and done I was holding this pig. My father took a pic with my iphone. Luckily I had it with me atleast. Sadly I have no weight or length. Should have used my rod as a ruler but hindsight is 20/20. I knew the only way I would ever find out for sure was to keep it. And that just wasnt an option to me. This fish looked old. I knew he fought long and hard to get to this size, And I couldnt be the one to end that for him. Watching him swim away just like all the trout I catch was good enough for me. As well as this one dark picture.

Oh yeah question for you bass folks. Its tail was dripping fresh blood, And was pretty beat up lookin. Would this still be wounds from the spawn? this lake has no toothy fish in it either.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. My best guess estimate from other bass I caught was this one was around 7Lb. But thats just a guess. Shoulder to shoulder I am 18inches. for some reference.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
NICE - I'd put that old girl closer to 8lbs. Not sure why the tail was bleeding/raw the spawn is long past(May).

·
Registered
342 Posts
Kudo's for letting the old girl go back to her lair. She's definitely a lunker.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. Aint sure how common bass of this size are in PA but to me it was a lunker thats for sure.

Soon as I held her and seen the size, And figured how long she had to live to reach this size, I knew I was putting her back in. I really wish I had my tape and scale. But Atleast I have a picture and a memory. Thats plenty for me.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
trouttime said:
Thanks guys. Aint sure how common bass of this size are in PA but to me it was a lunker thats for sure.

Soon as I held her and seen the size, And figured how long she had to live to reach this size, I knew I was putting her back in. I really wish I had my tape and scale. But Atleast I have a picture and a memory. Thats plenty for me.
I would say that bass that size are not very common in the waters of PA.

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
Nice!!

·
Registered
6,875 Posts
Huge bass!

The biggest bass I've ever seen was one my friend caught in a pond here in PA that weighted 6 1/2 pounds. And that bass sure looks bigger.

I agree that bass of that size are rare in PA.

Regarding the dark photo.

Using Photoshop or some other photo editing program, it might be possible to bring out a little bit more detail and color.

But, even as is, the photo shows you, the honking big bass, and the lake, so it saves the memory, so it's a good photo.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Congratulations, and that would def be on my wall too! But that is actually a very good picture as bert mentioned!

I'm loking at some pictures of 18-20 inch fish being held the same way you are holdin yours (hands about shoulder length apart). Yours is another level bigger. Has to be 25 or more inches. I wouldn't know how to estimate weight on something that big. If 21 inches ~5 pounds in PA, how heavy is a 25 inch football! 8-9 pounds??

·
Super Moderator
23,763 Posts
I would say that bass is around 8#. Could be more or less but it is a great bass no matter.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I've caught a lot of bass over 5 pounds and I can say for certain that fish is 7 pounds plus.

Awesome catch!

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you hook that fish in October it will be even heavier. I catch them in the lake behind my house in that timeframe 6+ lbs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts