The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A summery of my plots this year would be I sprayed early to get ahead of the weeds, I didn't get back to do mid Summer work and ended up with this mess.

After a weekend of bush hogging and spraying it looked like this.

Another weekend of tilling and planting and they looked like this.

Plot #1

Plot #2 & #3

Plot #4

Plots #5 & #6 look a lot like #4

They are all considered to be annual plots at the recommendation of Dutch and others to allow me to gain control of the weeds.

Plot #1 is split with Whitetail Green Patch Mix consisting of bruiser diploid ryegrass (against my better judgment it was in the mix) groundhog radishes, greenfix Peas, athena Rape, Crimson Clover, Ladino Clover) and a brassica mix

Plot #2 is a brassica mix

Plot #3 is rye (grain)

Plot #4 is split with rye (grain) and a brassica mix

Plots #5 & #6 are both a brassica mix

Plots #1,#3,& #4 all got an area of sugar beets as well

I plan to visit the plots again in two weeks, if we got rain and they have started to grow I'll post some progress pics then.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
SHOW OFF!!!!

Good Luck out there Flint.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks RB!

Dutch had requested pics, I just had to make sure all the location data was erased first

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Ummmmmmmmmmm, I'm not all that impressed. LOL

Great work there Flint. Amazing, actually.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is an update from this weekend, things could be much better but they could also be much worse.

The guest list looks like this, from an old home brew camera.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Considering what you started with, they look darned nice.

If you get behind again next year, let me know, I'll make a roadtrip to help out. Last mile I'm sure you'll blindfold me. LOL

That tiller will help you keep ahead of the weeds, with less spraying.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Dutch, I am encouraged for next year just a tad disappointed in this years results (so far).

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
So, its a rebuilding year and next year will be terrific. I'll volunteer to help, if ya need it, but no blindfold. LOL

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Could you use more seed? I seed lawns at 2-4 times the recommended rate. Also use lots of fertilizer.
Seed is cheap compared to labor and disappointng results.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
TusseyMtMan said:
Could you use more seed? I seed lawns at 2-4 times the recommended rate. Also use lots of fertilizer.
Seed is cheap compared to labor and disappointng results.
PRECISELY!

But also, the dry weather lately hasn't helped many food plotters. He'll have a great year next year, as he has in the past.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You really don't want to know how much seed is in those plots
, most are double or triple the rate. I wish I had had a cultipacker or my lawn roller I think that would have made a difference. I did drag in the rye seed which I have done before with success. I did not drag in the brassics which in hind sight I should have given that the place I turned the drag around in the brassics is the best looking place on any of the plots. The lack of consistent rain was my biggest killer.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I have done plenty of brassica plots that I didn't cultipack or drag. Done a few in sod that were great, so, don't think that is a requisite. I also think you are right, the lack of rain kills.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was back a gain this weekend (without the camera) and was greatly encouraged and surprised at the difference a week with some rain made. The brassica plots are coming in stronger and are not being eaten (as per plan, though the last time I planted them there the deer ate en as soon as they came up). The rye is coming in heavier and the areas I thought were spotty are so because of grazing pressure. The plot with the least activity is the one with the brassica, annual rye grass mix, there are tracks in the plot but nothing on camera.

Just for the record sugar beets don't seem to grow outside of exclusion cages.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
there are tracks in the plot but nothing on camera.
How do you kill deer that are invisible? LOL

Nice to see it's coming along well.

My brassicas are knee height, where I got enough urea on them. The deer have been eating it for the last month. I expect them to start hitting it harder in the next few weeks as browse in the woods disappears.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
THAT is a pretty picture!

Congrats, "old" man.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks! I am very proud of him, I put a real rough tape to him this afternoon and he grosses about 144.

I was rock solid until after the shot then I shook like a leaf, I was just happy that I still at the feeling in me at my "advanced" age.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts