The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talk of dropping the antler restrictions in the CWD areas next year.Will that be a buck and doe in the Oct season next year? Late season will also be brown and down?

·
Registered
9,931 Posts
Remove antler restrictions in DMA's... yes.

Either sex in muzzleloader seasons... ? Where are you guys getting that? Here's the actual proposal, nothing about either sex ML seasons.
In case you can't open the pdf:

Plan Elements New, Isolated Cases (i.e. when CWD is first detected in new areas)

After initial detection of CWD in new areas, hunters will be given the first opportunity to harvest more deer and collect more CWD samples for testing. The management objective in these new areas is to eliminate the disease before it becomes established in the deer population or in the environment (e.g. soil). A CWD Control Unit will be created, which will be a 3-mile radius area surrounding the new detection. The Game Commission will work with local hunters and landowners to collect a minimum number of samples to be confident of the true extent of the disease. Some steps that could be taken include: 1) engage stakeholders and provide accurate and current information regarding CWD, 2) increase deer tags available, 3) expand hunting season lengths, 4) remove antler point restrictions, 5) mandatory sampling within CWD Control Units, 6) minimum sample size quota collected within CWD Control Units 7) agency-directed targeted removals of deer if management objectives are not met through hunter harvest.

CWD-Established Areas

In areas where CWD is established (within 10 miles of other positive cases and greater than 1 percent prevalence for consecutive years), the management objective is to maintain CWD prevalence below 5 percent. This area would currently include Blair, Bedford, Fulton counties and immediately surrounding areas. With current science it is unlikely to eliminate CWD once established. Management actions could include: 1) engage stakeholders and provide accurate and current information regarding CWD, 2) increase antlerless tags available, 3) expand hunting season lengths, 4) remove antler point restrictions, 5) agencydirected targeted removals of deer if management objectives (i.e. maintain CWD prevalence less than 5 percent) are not met through hunter harvest

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I was talking about the muzzy seasons in the cwd areas not statewide.

·
Registered
9,931 Posts
Yes I was talking about the muzzy seasons in the cwd areas not statewide.

There is nothing in the proposal about making muzzleloader season either sex in DMA's. Removal of AR's will not mean any deer is legal, it will revert back to the old regs, three inch spikes or 2 points on one antler. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
But it will make any deer legal.You have 2 DMA antlerless tags and you have buck tag.Both are good to use at the same time of year.
The protected 3,4,5pts and short brow tine bucks will then be legal game.just a matter of what tag use use on what deer.

·
Registered
9,931 Posts
Maybe we aren't talking about the same thing. The two first posts in this thread inferred that early muzzleloader will be brown and down.

Talk of dropping the antler restrictions in the CWD areas next year.Will that be a buck and doe in the Oct season next year? Late season will also be brown and down?
I think the plan is brown down with a rifle during both muzzleloader seasons
I'm saying that the early muzzleloader season in October will remain antlerless only, as will the junior and senior special rifle early season. If you have information from the PGC that disagrees with that, please post it.

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As posted "In CWD Areas". NOT state wide.

·
Registered
9,931 Posts
As posted "In CWD Areas". NOT state wide.
Yes, I too am talking about in CWD areas, that is what DMA's are, Disease Management Areas.

Again, please post where you have seen information released from the PGC that the early muzzleloader and early special rifle seasons in the DMA's will be either sex. You won't find it. I've posted above the press release from the PGC concerning this. It does not say anything about eliminating antlerless only seasons in DMA's. Removing AR's does not automatically eliminate antlerless only seasons.

Look, I'm done. It may be possible that at some point that the PGC may consider making the early seasons either sex in the DMA's, but it has not to this point been proposed.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I believe the current idea being kicked around for some parts (called the cwd established area), not all, of the DMA areas next year is a possible early rifle season to run concurrent with what has traditionally been the early muzzleloader season dates in October. This season would be buck or doe. I think they are also considering a late antlerless only rifle season as well.

It would be pretty neat if they decided to make that season just the early muzzleloader as it has been and open it up for buck and doe. Imagine a week of early muzzleloader that is open for bear, and antler or antlerless deer. That would really spark some interest in muzzleloader hunting throughout the state.

The link below outlines the current cwd plan the PGC is thinking about and seeking public comments on. I believe page 23 of the document has the information about possible seasons changes.

https://www.pgc.pa.gov/Wildlife/Wildlife-RelatedDiseases/Documents/Draft CWD Response Plan.pdf

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WOW ! Interesting read !

·
Registered
9,931 Posts
I believe the current idea being kicked around for some parts (called the cwd established area), not all, of the DMA areas next year is a possible early rifle season to run concurrent with what has traditionally been the early muzzleloader season dates in October. This season would be buck or doe. I think they are also considering a late antlerless only rifle season as well.

It would be pretty neat if they decided to make that season just the early muzzleloader as it has been and open it up for buck and doe. Imagine a week of early muzzleloader that is open for bear, and antler or antlerless deer. That would really spark some interest in muzzleloader hunting throughout the state.

The link below outlines the current cwd plan the PGC is thinking about and seeking public comments on. I believe page 23 of the document has the information about possible seasons changes.

https://www.pgc.pa.gov/Wildlife/Wildlife-RelatedDiseases/Documents/Draft CWD Response Plan.pdf

Thanks for posting that NittanyBearcat, that's what I was asking for. I stand corrected. Apologies to 410-er.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
That would be nice. Rifle season just before the rut. Shoot either or both in nice weather. I wonder how the archery folks will welcome this proposal?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts