The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, just curious, i know the early season is doe only, but in the late season...i know this is different, but i know with the older liscence(like 10 years ago) i was under the impression you could use that buck tag for either sex in the muzzle loader season in the winter..is/was that true? and if you could have can you still? i havent gotten a lis. here since 02 seasons..just wondering..im not a guy who needs to kill 150 deer, but if i only get 1 doe tag, and the buck tag, id just rather kill my doe in the late season..

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
AbramsGunnerC12, The Flintlock Season in Pennsylvania remains as America's last traditional weapon specific season from the Atlantic to the Pacific. During this season, your weapon must have an external lock which activates a flint loaded hammer which must strike a spark producing frizzen, which ignites a pan of priming powder, which ignites a barrel charge of powder, which pushes a roundball or bullet down the barrel toward the target. Other than these few steps, the flintlock season is quite similar to the regular rifle season.

·
Registered
431 Posts
BerksCoflinter said:
AbramsGunnerC12, The Flintlock Season in Pennsylvania remains as America's last traditional weapon specific season from the Atlantic to the Pacific. During this season, your weapon must have an external lock which activates a flint loaded hammer which must strike a spark producing frizzen, which ignites a pan of priming powder, which ignites a barrel charge of powder, which pushes a roundball or bullet down the barrel toward the target. Other than these few steps, the flintlock season is quite similar to the regular rifle season.
Plus you can't use a scope, but peep sights are allowed.

·
Banned
900 Posts
Just in case you are confused: The "early" season is for black powder and you can use inlines as well as percussion and flintlocks. The " late" or "Flintlock season" is just as it states "Flintlock Season" no inlines or percussion.

I think I explain that to 20 guys I hunt with every year. They may actually be the same guys!

·
Registered
12,388 Posts
The early season is for muzzleloaders the late season is strictly for flintlock ignition muzzleloaders. There were some breech loading flint locks in the 1700's that are not legal. Same for breech loading percussion guns and cap and ball revolvers. Not all black powder guns are muzzleloaders.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
in 5c wmu you can use flint lock,in-line rifle shot gun bow and cross bow after Christmas..

rest of the state u use flint lock for buck or doe so long as you have the tag u use for a buck that came with your license

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
The best part of flintlock is the ability to use your 'buck' tag as a statewide 'either' sex tag...in fact the 'buck' tag now says 'Antlered' or 'flintlock' tag...

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
...because when the trigger is pulled, the outcome is not 100% known till the smoke clears.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
limbhnger10 said:
...because when the trigger is pulled, the outcome is not 100% known till the smoke clears.
If the smoke shows up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts