The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone taking out their flintlock or inline muzzleloader for rifle season? I was lucky enough to fill my buck tag in archery season for the first time this year so I have been tossing around the idea of taking my Traditions Pursuit inline out to try and fill a doe tag with in the rifle season. I got this muzzleloader last year to hunt the early season and hopefully take on an out of state hunt in the future. It's been a blast to shoot and learn about muzzleloading, but I have not had it out hunting all that much yet. Hoping to take it for a walk on the first Saturday in search of a doe.

·
Registered
12,791 Posts
I am taking mine. It`s either my NEF Sidekick .50 inline or my old Browning A-Bolt 30/36. Depending on the terrain I hunt in.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I will be taking out my TVM Lancaster county flintlock. I have been hunting in a special regs area for the last couple years (got permission to hunt local private land), so have been using the flintlock exclusively. Got a large doe with it last year. Hoping for a buck on the first day.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
i took mine hunting in N.Y. on a mountain where everyone else had rifles in the rain, I was the only one who got a deer that day with my flintlock....

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I posted about it in the traditional forum, but I took my .50 cal TVM Early Lancaster flintlock out to Montana a couple of weeks ago and used it successfully to fill my mule deer doe tag during their rifle season. Fun game to play, for sure.

·
Super Moderator
7,838 Posts
Don't need more deer meat, but know families in need who could benefit. I may take my long rifle out for grins and see about getting a deer for someone in need.

·
Super Moderator
27,464 Posts
I've taken my flintlock out in the old 3 day doe season several times. One year I had a guy telling me "it's not flintlock season, you can't be using that." I laughed and continued on my way.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I dropped a decent sized doe this morning with my TVM Lancaster .54 cal flintlock. 35 yard shot, right quartering toward me slightly. 225 grain ball hit slightly high on the shoulder but she dropped in her tracks and didn't get up again. I did have to administer a coup-de-grace shot to finish her as she was not in her death throes when I got to her. The second shot to the heart at point blank ended it quick.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts