The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the date for muzzleloader bear season is October 16 through the 23rd does that mean it includes that Sunday also?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s kind of tricky, They would usually post Saturday, October 16, Monday, October 18th through the 23rd

·
Registered
25,600 Posts
its not tricky. look in the book on pages 6 and 7, you will see little yellow colored circles marked with 1, 2 or 3, these numbers indicate what sundays you can hunt during those seasons. then on the bottom of page 6, right hand side it will tell you what sundays you can hunt
1. Sunday Nov 14th
2. Sunday Nov 21st
3. Sunday Nov 28th

not tricky at all :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
2nd that ridgerunnr it was pretty lousy the amount of people hunting sundays this year. Sunday at Bear camp was the "1" day out of the year that we actually got to hang out and not to have to worry about anything. We love Bear hunting we have one **** of a dedicated group but sunday was the day we waited all year for at camp.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Pros- more time afield for sure

Con- As more of the old farmers/landowners pass away new properties owners are less inclined to sign up or keep those properties in the hunter access program by allowing Sunday hunting on the "private properties" the one day they presently arent bothered by hunters will only push these "new" landowners to close access to their farms. I've already seen this happen in the area I live in with farmers/landowners that for years kept their properties open.

The first year Sunday hunting was allowed for deer hunting a farmer/landowner clearly told all the neighbors and people that regular hunted his property Sunday was off limits and they themselves are big deer hunters and would not hunt. Well the first year folks complied but last year several of the neighbors and other hunters decided to sneak onto their property and hunt the backside of their property. Well gun shots were heard and they were obviously seen and now that property is only open to immediate family members for all hunting now because some tea bags got selfish. 140 acres lost

On my cousins property several hunters showed up that he didn't know and hunted on Sunday. I don't have the regulations in front of me but believe your suppose to have written permission to hunt on private properties to hunt on Sundays. My cousin approached these hunters and they just said they saw the Hunter Access signs and assumed it was ok to hunt. My cousin asked the guys to leave and there is always one guy that has to push the limit and argue. Long story short his property is still open but if it happens again 270 acres will be lost.

Not Sunday hunting related but I just posted a 111 acres for a friend of mine simply because people couldn't ask permission before hunting and he always said he needs at least one day a week with out being woke up by barking dogs and somebody shooting. After I posted his property he had a highly upset hunter approach him and tell him he had hunted their the last 25 years and what was he suppose to do now for a place to hunt. The landowner simply told him that he had owned the property for the last twenty years and thats the first time the hunter has ever came to the house ask. Well thats shut the hunter up and he left. 111 acres lost

Landowners are changing and we as hunters need to take that into account before we get to selfish.

I know this is just a small sample from a small area now but take that across all of Pa and your going to lose more access to private properties from Sunday hunting. State Game Lands or National forest have at it but there is no good reason to jeopardize hunter access to private properties over Sunday hunting with the already extended lengthy seasons hunters can take advantage of.

·
Registered
50 Posts
One more "con". My buddy got a bear on Sunday last year. Couldn't find any taxidermist to even answer the phone, and those that did didn't want to bother with a bear on Sunday. Same for meat processors. Nobody open, or if they answered the phone, wanted no parts of dealing with a bear on Sunday........just saying.

·
Registered
25,600 Posts
just because Sunday hunting is legal, doesnt mean people have to hunt or other businesses have to stay open.

HEY...what about the bear check stations ?

·
Registered
12,059 Posts
I know this is just a small sample from a small area now but take that across all of Pa and your going to lose more access to private properties from Sunday hunting. State Game Lands or National forest have at it but there is no good reason to jeopardize hunter access to private properties over Sunday hunting with the already extended lengthy seasons hunters can take advantage of.
Your right it is a small sample but the solution is easy. If the landowner doesn't want hunters on his property that is his choice. If he has no objections to hunting on Sunday that is also his choice.

We'll have to see how this plays out.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
183 Posts
Not Sunday hunting related but I just posted a 111 acres for a friend of mine simply because people couldn't ask permission before hunting and he always said he needs at least one day a week with out being woke up by barking dogs and somebody shooting. After I posted his property he had a highly upset hunter approach him and tell him he had hunted their the last 25 years and what was he suppose to do now for a place to hunt. The landowner simply told him that he had owned the property for the last twenty years and thats the first time the hunter has ever came to the house ask. Well thats shut the hunter up and he left. 111 acres lost
good god, the audacity of that hunter.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts