The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What 209 Primer do you use? Feel free to offer any opinions, experiences etc. Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
24,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i tried them all. The Triple Se7en give less blow bak plus with T7 loose...less crud ring. They aint as hot. They all will go BANG nevertheless!!

·
Registered
12,760 Posts
I use the regulat Win 209 primers, but would like to try the Triple 7 ones if they burn cleaner. I use regular 2F black powder in all my muzzy`s.

·
Premium Member
24,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I switched to the Win Triple Se7en 209 2 years ago. They are definitely cleaner. The pop is about half as loud as a reg 209 when snappin one off.

·
Premium Member
24,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Likely from blow back thru breech plug. A cooler primer will likely help. I have a White Super 91 .504 inline that gets alot of blow back. I put elec tape on bottom of scope to protect.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I just use what ever I have for the shotguns. Usually winchester 209's. I haven't had one fail me yet. I see no point in changing something that works.

·
Premium Member
24,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
duckman76 said:
I just use what ever I have for the shotguns. Usually winchester 209's. I haven't had one fail me yet. I see no point in changing something that works.

Totally Agree!
They all work & will ALL go BANG!! If you have shot enuff though..you will obviously find that some result in less blowback & less crud ring(if T7 shot). For an occasional shooter...likely not worth changing.

·
Banned
900 Posts
My uncle shot 3 groups using 3 different primers from a TC Triumph. 90gr. 777, 250 TC superglides. He shot Winchesters, 777 and Federal Fusion. The diffrence at about 70yds was about an inch. The Fusions were almost touching.

I personally did my research and was convinced by what I read that the 25acp conversion for my Encore was gonna do the trick eliminating the "flyer". So far have not really noticed that much of a diffrence. Need to shoot more to be sure though. Will be disappointed if it does not after spending over $100 to make the conversion.

·
Premium Member
24,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great input there!!

I havent tried the Federal Fusions yet.

·
Premium Member
24,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any more Fed Fusion users?? Plus keep the poll input rollin in guys!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am using Blackhorn 209 powder and in most muzzleloaders, it requires a full strength 209 primer like the ones used to reload shotgun shells. The .45 cal Knight DISC Elite that I am using the bare 209 primer conversion breech plug with, cuts down the primer blow back (no scope burn) if I use the Winchester 209 primer because they fit better. I have tried Rem STS, Federal 209A and CCI but they each have just a little difference in depth or width to them.

FWIW, the two inlines that I used T7 in, did just fine with a #11 cap. T7 doesn't require all that a 209 primer has to offer to ignite. My experience has been that the .25 ACP conversion breech plugs work well with T7 using small rifle primers.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Those new remington green primers are great, they are so clean burning and easier to cleap up your action after shooting.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Still use the old 209 Remingtons with out a misfire and no misses!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I got 500 Winchester 209's when I first started shooting my in-line I have @ 150 left and have not had any issues with them. I may switch when I run out or mix and match a few different brands to see if there is any difference.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts