The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Western PA -- does anyone have any stories of having a muzzle brake installed, and what kind do you prefer? I know they are not cheap. any suggestions thanks

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
had a kdf recoil arrestor installed on my 7mm mag. The gunsmith said I wouldn't like it. It really tamed the recoil, but when I shot it at a mulie my head about exploded from the rearward sound and pressure. I will gladly tolerate recoil before ever using one of those again!

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
The owner of the gun shop I use had his 300 RUM Magna-Ported. He said it reduced recoil, but does not have the sound and blast effects of a Muzzle brake.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Holland brakes have no porting on the bottom to prevent dirt from flying up when shooting prone. A smith in my area charges 190.00 , that is including the price of the brake.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
John Henry said:
The owner of the gun shop I use had his 300 RUM Magna-Ported. He said it reduced recoil, but does not have the sound and blast effects of a Muzzle brake.
But "Magna_Porting" does not tame recoil as well as a muzzle brake.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been looking at the Holland and Vais brakes, will these reduce recoil to the point where you feel a huge back blast? The Holland brakes say they reduce 45% of recoil, and the Vais up to 50%, the magna ported barrels only reduce about 15-20% of the recoil? I'm shootin a 338 win mag

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
i have used and currently putting a JP Enterprises "tank Brake" on my new build. i love that brake. i wouldnt use any type of brake that has holes on the bottom of it.

look on midway. they have alot of brakes. also check out kirby allens brakes.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I don't get any back blast that I actually feel. It is loud though. One shot while hunting isn't bad and didn't bother me, but I took two shots last year without plugs, while hunting and the second shot bothered me a little. I did shoot it once from a bipod while laying on thr ground and got some ground ground debris stirring.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I have the vais on a 300wby and I like it, reduces recoil without a lot of muzzle blast.
Drags

·
Registered
889 Posts
The muzzle brake is loud. Yes. But it is also greatly exaggerated. The noise level is pretty much the same-it is just directed in a different direction. So it seems to be drastically louder, but it is not.

Personally I always use hearing protection when I shoot. And yes that also includes when I hunt with high powered rifles, with or without a break. I keep a small set in my pocket. And whenever I think a shooting situation is going to occur, I put them in. Whether I am hunting with a rifle with a brake, or not. I still use hearing protection. It may not work for all types of big game hunting, but it works for me.

Personally I like muzzle brakes and magna-porting because I feel it give me a shooting advantage. They allow me to have more control of the rifle. And less movement while shooting. So that is important to me. And they will definitely do away with "scope eye".

I have also heard some complaints from guys who say they are too loud at the shooting range. But I do not believe there is ever an excuse not to use hearing protection at the range. I use plugs and muffs. And the plugs never come out while I am at the range. Tom.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
flyway said:
Most people remove the brake for hunting,this allows you to shoot without the deafening blast.
Does this change the Point of Impact? Seems to me it might have some effect.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I have a browning A-bolt in a 300 win mag, it has the B.O.S.S. Yeah it is LOUD, but the recoil is a lot better and it shoots well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts