The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the status on the mute swans? are they legal to shoot? I've tried to research this to no avail, alot of stuff but no definate answer. Thanks

·
Registered
862 Posts
Mute swans, NOT Tundra swans..

I think, and please check to be sure, but Mutes were declassified as protected and classified as invasive making them fair game.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Mutes are feral, though I think are protected under the MBTA and I THINK are fair game in PA since the PGC is invovled in a mute swan management plan and they have indicated a poplulation goal of 0 wild mutes.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Feral mute swans are not protected and may be shot. However, be careful that they are feral and are not owned by someone because you could be held liable for killing them as not all Mutes are feral. Generally, feral swans can fly while those owned by someone are pinioned and cannot fly. This is for PA, some states do protect them.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about other waterfowl not on the list of protected. I cheecked the 50 CFR 10.13 and found that egyptian geese as well as mute swans are not on the list. Are egyptian geese fair game as well.

Thanks John

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
They are considered feral as well, escaped domestics.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks John. Thats what I thought but it never hurts to safe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts