The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas on how to get rid of the musty smell in the camp. My camp is on stilts about 3 feet above ground. I have tried charcoal and that did help a little. My camp is surrounded by pine trees.

·
Super Moderator
6,065 Posts
A old timer I know that has a camp out I the SF swears by Irish Spring soap. He takes a couple bars, slices them up, and sets a couple bowls out inside camp. Place always smells fresh now.

·
Registered
260 Posts
We got air filters at walmart they have filters for mold and spores get the good filters. and also get damp rid bags put one in every room they will take the moisture out and your place will smell good.you need to get the moisture out and the air filters will remove the bacteria out

·
Registered
338 Posts
I had the same problem with my camp. I used the damp rid bags and they worked pretty well but I always had to buy refills and change them . Finally I bought a dehumidifier and left it run on constant through out the year . I no longer have the moisture smell or mildew in the camp. Just make sure you buy one that has a hose attachment so you can run it into the sink or other drain , that way you can run it on the continuous setting .

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
we run a air purifier 24-7, when camp is open for the season.boxes of baking soda helps,open jug of vinegar keeps the smell down

·
Registered
835 Posts
One of our camp windows was left open for a few weeks by accident and having lots of trees around it caused a musty smell. We end up throwing away a lot of blankets, pillows and stuff like that. Wiped the entire camp walls and floors and febreezed the couches. We got the smell out but took several weekends of airing it out. We have been slowly cutting trees down around our camp because the moss is growing on our asphalt shingles. I am off the grid and this was my best option to come up with but the febreeze really helped the couches.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
I use the Damprid buckets and they work great... about $9 a buck and last all year. Also if you have a propane refrigerator that is causing a lot of moisture. If you do have electricity I would use a dehumidifier and be done with it. However you'll probably have to replace your blankets, pillows, and other items like that.

Attachments

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I use the Damprid buckets and they work great... about $9 a buck and last all year. Also if you have a propane refrigerator that is causing a lot of moisture. If you do have electricity I would use a dehumidifier and be done with it. However you'll probably have to replace your blankets, pillows, and other items like that.
Just clean your blankets wash or dry-clean and put them in plastic tubs with lids or in garbage bags and squeeze out all the air and seal them up. They will be fine in the spring. Air you pillows well and do the same to them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ozone generators do a good job on getting rid of nasty odors. You can't be in the area when its on and then must ventilate the area after use but it leaves a crisp clean smell. Here is one example you can find on amazon
Airthereal MA5000 Commercial Generator 5000mg/h Ozone Machine Home Air Ionizers Deodorizer for Rooms, Smoke, Cars and Pets, Blue

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
My camp has had that Smell for as long as I can remember, a combination of musty, wood and coal smoke. Whenever we come home everything we took has that odor. I kind of like it. It reminds me of better days !

Yup better days. I agree. :smile_big:

·
Registered
19 Posts
We also started using a dehumidifier. We had a lot of mold after the extremely wet summer two years ago. We now run the dehumidifier from May through Oct. What a difference. Camp always feel dry and smells fresh when we arrive. Not too bad on the electric bill. I beleive another $20-$25/month, but well worth it.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
My camp has had that Smell for as long as I can remember, a combination of musty, wood and coal smoke. Whenever we come home everything we took has that odor. I kind of like it. It reminds me of better days !
If it smells like that, it's an authentic camp.

Maybe we could put that smell in a can and sell it.

Gotta have that funk.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts