The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Looking to give musky fishing a try this year. Always see a good many out on the river. Just never really targeted them specifically. I'm looking to buy some lures and was wondering what you guys like to use when fishing the river for musky. Not trying to break the bank all at once. So I'm looking to buy three or four big lures/ spinners to start out with. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
I have not fished for Muskie in a long time but I used to have good luck with flatfish and jitterbugs. But, the most success I ever had was with live chubs and Leopard frogs. A bit off topic - a very lot depended on where you cast the bait. BTW, I never, ever, had a muskie hit while trolling. Good luck and good fishing!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Big Jointed Rapalas - jerky retrieve to mimic a wounded fish..

or
Better Yet - big 3/0 hook through the back of a live chub - or better yet - a live trout - don't forget to slice part of its tail off so it swims like a rock...:)

The Muskie os known as the fish of 10,000 casts - for good reason.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
My dad and I used to troll with Spoonplugs (google Buck Perry Spoon Plugs for info.) I also like big black and gold Rapalas and red and yellow bucktail spinners.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Out of curiosity, what rod, reel and line do you plan on using? Easier to suggest lures knowing these things. If you're just starting it can be expensive since you'll need a net, long nose pliers, quality leaders, and good hook cutters at a minimum. Some guys like gloves to protect their hands too.

·
Registered
602 Posts
1 big bucktail, 1 small bucktail(double 8 blade, super vibrax),1 big spinnerbait(grinder), 6 inch glider(hellhound/phantom), 1 bulldog, 1 top raider, 1 jerkbait (crane 205/207 crane 105), 1 jointed depth raider......that will get you started. I have boxes of lures and anymore that's all I really take. I have a bunch of lures I don't really use I'll sell cheap pm me if your interested I can send some pictures.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Big baits will beat the crap out of you if you don't have the rod/reel for them...start out small. Nothing wrong with an Abu Garcia 6500 and 7.5 foot heavy action rod to start out. Or just go in head first and buy good equipment because once you figure out how to catch them it is a sickness.

X2 on the net/pliers/hook cutters. It's not fun tangling with a mouth full of teeth and big trebles without the right tools. Not to mention it's hard on the fish. Snap a pic and get them back in the water asap.

Try Rollie and Helens musky shop or Thorne bros. they'll have what you need

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
I've caught several on my large pike spoons I use in Canada. Sometimes they will hit a smaller sized lure you just need the rod, reel, and line to handle them. We have a 52-53" muskie on the wall at the shop that was caught on a blue fox spinner.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts