The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a Muskrat field study happening now? Radioed live Muskrats?

Reason I ask... a friend called me last week. He's a Coke-a-Cola delivery driver.
At day break, He pulled into Giant grocery store lot (Lewisburg) and saw PGC guy with an antena thingy and he was wearing hip boots. Friend talked with guy but forgets his name.
Seems the guy is a PGC biologist. He had Muskrats with transmitters in the nearby crick & spill ponds of the parking lot. He was making his daily check.

Friend didn't get much info, but said the guy was studying Muskrat predation. He said most kills were from Mink at this time of study.
Friend didn't ask as many questions as most of us would have. But called me to ask if I knew about this study. I said, No I didnt' know this study was going on, and close to home.

Does anyone know of this Muskrat field study thats going on right now?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
i was asked about two years ago about anyplace I knew of that had a good rat population by my local officer . word was the biologists were looking at places to do a study in the pike , Monroe county area . im sure they were looking at other areas across the state too .

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
If the PGC wants to do a field study in an area with a good muskrat population, they need to bring along their time machine so they can turn back the clock 35 years. Rats are far and few between in my neck of the woods today.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've hunted and trapped in WMU 3D since I was a little guy. If you compare the population of rats from the mid 80's until now I would actually consider them a threatened species in WMU 3D. I caught one in a blind set for mink this past season and I actually felt bad for catching cause the rat population is so delicate in my area. I'm sure there are some spots that there are still some ok populations but not my trapping grounds anymore!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts