The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out lookin. I found a couple different ones today but not sure what they are. I forwarded some pics to one of my buddies for ID. I think I had a chantrelle, old man of the woods, sulfur shelf and a sheepshead. I thought it was a little early for the sheeps head though. I usually start lookin around labor day for them. I know what a morel looks and a sheeps head but thats it. Has anyone else found any of these shrooms this season so far. Thanks

·
Registered
746 Posts
I was out looking for chantrelles this weekend. I've never picked them before. I found tons of boletes. They were all over the place. Bugs and critters must love them because 90 percent of them were eaten on the tops. It seems to be a decent year for field mushrooms with the recent rains we've had. It's possible you might have found a polypore and not a sheepshead. It's very early for those. See the link below for a pic of a polypore.

http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1836050#Post1836050

·
Registered
16,493 Posts
My guess is polypore also. It is indeed a bit early for Hen's, but not completely unheard of.

By the way, you won't find a Morel in the fall.... well in PA anyhow.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yup, you guys are right, its polypore. I just started looking for shrooms last year. I thought it was to early for ramshead. Nope, no morels, found 90 in the spring though! Thanks for the help

·
Registered
275 Posts
took a ride thru community park in Girard, Erie county last evening. one campsite had 4 large heads of polypore mushrooms sitting on their deck. looked fresh. It was raining and didn't see anyone around. On a backroad goin bak to our campground i spotted a stump with very large polypore, looked a tad bit too old so i didn't bother to cut. there will be plenty of fresh in the coming months.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts