The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Are those good? I've never seen them in the wild. What do they grow by? I've been out looking fo chantrelles but only found 1 and it was too old. I only looked once but I gotta keep trying.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes they are very good ! I find them in the mountain old creek beds logging roads never in pines also picked alot of chantrelles

·
Registered
748 Posts
pondbank said:
No Idont the only names I know are beefsteak and milk plates
I can't find any mushroom with those names that looks like that on the internet. Is this what the locals call them? How did you first know they were OK to eat? Did your father, grandfather etc show you first? I pick several mushrooms that I learned were good to eat when I was a kid from my Uncle and grandfather. I just called them by their nickname. Now that I use books to identify them, every mushroom I was shown is considered a "choice" mushroom. It looks like these are some kind of "Milky" mushroom. Maybe that is where "Milk Plate" came from.

·
Registered
16,506 Posts
Can't be sure, but look like some type of bolete. Do they have "gills" or "pores" ? If they have pores they are probably a type of bolete.

·
Registered
36,758 Posts
I'm not familiar with these mushrooms either. Boletes have more of a rounded top, morelike umbrella shaped, and don't have that dimple in the middle. But than again there are many types of the bolete and I could be wrong.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Beefsteak is what everyone around here calls them and they do have gills and they are milky.Dad showed me when I was a kid. I found them in franklin, adams, and cumberland counties and aug. is the best time to find them.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Freytown said:
They look like they may be Orange-brown lactarius (Lactarius volemus)

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/lactarius_volemus.html
This mushroom according to my mushroom book and this article smells like a dead fish but it is considered a choice mushroom. That is quite an unusual combination :/. It also says you should use gloves when cleaning it since it will stain your fingers.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They do have a smell never thought they smelled like a dead fish. They do stain your hands like walnuts.Like I said before very good to eat.We also find one we call puppyfeet or buckhorns going back out monday if I find any I will post some pics

1 - 12 of 12 Posts