The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering if anyone ever tried selling there wild schrooms cant believe they want 16 bucks a lb in stores for cultivated hen of the woods or as we call them sheephead i know the market for ginseng but was curious about mushrooms

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Oh Man!! Coulda made some money today at $16 a pound!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nice.i have found more this year then i can remember started getting into big batches of honey schrooms also. not sure if 16 a lb is true but heard it a couple of times.the worst thing about it they are farmed and sold as wild and that is probally the only way stores will buy

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Yeah this year was unlike any that I can remember. Most likely you are right about the stores buying farm raised ones.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah i seen them even higher on other sites also but the reply i heard was from this forum and they said i belive it was a wegams store in pa?

·
Registered
36,758 Posts
I see them in stores, but not advertised as wild mushrooms, just as Maitake mushroom. Wegmans charge $12.99 per pound, but at Giant you can them for $3.49 per pound.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah maitaki is the orientel name for them they believe it has a medical value for preventing certain diseases from what i heard,ever see any honey or what locally is called papinki in your store travels.

·
Registered
36,758 Posts
I call the honey shroom stumpies, learned to pick them from an old Polish guy up in Potter. Never seen them in any stores, even up north. They may not be allowed to sell them. Some people get sick with gastric distress from them, and I'm sure no food store would like a lawsuit because of them. Only thing I ever saw was wild leeks for sale.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
same here we call them papinks until the later ones come out that are closed up and not opened up then everybody calls them stumpies i just love going out and picking them and this year i talked to an old farmer who asked me to bring all the stumpies i can find. made a little gas money then found out he was making a killing resaleing them.that is why i am so curious about marketing them

1 - 11 of 11 Posts