The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a mess of these in the woods today. Have no idea what they are. Anyone know.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Those all appear to be chanterelles. They are popping around here now. Delicious shrooms, I personally prefer them over just about anything including morels. Black trumpets are probably the only thing I would put ahead of them, but I use them differently.

The keys to positive chanterelle ID is the undercarriage and texture. They look similar in color to JackoLanterns, which are poisonous but have true gills as an easy distinguishing trait. Chanterelles have ridges that are not true gills. When you see the difference in person, it pops. False chanterelles are the other lookalike but aren't poisonous, aren't palatable though, and also have gills and have really flimsy flesh texture and a different color than chanterelles. Chantrelles have a fruity smell that is similar to peaches as a final confirmation.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I think they are chanterelles. Some had gills and some not. I guess I'll have to wait till an expert shows me in person. I don't want to croak just yet.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Well I think they are chanterelles. Some had gills and some not. I guess I'll have to wait till an expert shows me in person. I don't want to croak just yet.

View attachment 171621

View attachment 171622
View attachment 171624
View attachment 171623
I advise you go find jack o lanterns, that is the poisonous lookalike. Once you see both, I think the differnerces should click, and if they don't, maybe stick to giant eagle. I stick to pretty basic edible mushrooms with that philosophy, I go by process of elimination.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts