The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any more experienced mushroom hunters can identify these. From the pics I've found online I believe they are pheasant backs but I'm new at this. I've only collected morels in the past since they are easy to ID. Here are a few pics. I've been finding quite a few morels while turkey hunting this week also.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Those are Dryad saddles AKA Pheasant backs..... never have eaten them, they smell to some like watermelon rind to me and i find it pleasant. Others, like my wife, the smell makes them nauseous. I have been told very clearly that they are not welcome in our house....

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Nice! I'm new at most mushrooms but was going to say from the first picture dryad saddle. Ediable, but never tried them. On my list to look for while hunting morels this year.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Ate some with morels not bad.....if they break easy when you push down they are good ..if they bend...leave em.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
That is what I think it is also. There were a lot of them on a big elm tree that was dying at the inlaws. If it is an elm I would mark that spot for future morels.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts