The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Not sure what this is I was thinking chicken or hen but it looks a lot different than I am used to so I am little hesitant.

Any help would be appreciated.

If not ill if id it at home with the books and come back out.

Thanks

·
Registered
16,468 Posts
I'm pert near sure your ID is correct in that it's a Berkley's Polypore. Not a Chicken-O-Woods. Chicken's will grow on dead wood, and when fresh have a distinct Orange brilliance you can see for a good ways off. Chickens are indeed a polypore.

Not a Hen, or Sheephead. Way too early. They are a very late summer to fall mushroom, and the "leafing" or ears are quite a bit smaller.

·
Registered
16,468 Posts
And I'll add. Most polypore's I know of, are edible. But, there is an enormous difference between edible and desirable. The polypore known as Dryad's Saddle, or Pheasant-Back, are certainly edible and will not harm you, but I would put it in the same class as shoeleather being edible and not harming you. For me, Chicken-O-Woods is not far behind. Better as an addition to a soup stock or so, than something you would want to sautee and put on a steak.

Getting close to about time for a prime-time mushroom, the Chanterelle. On equal grounds, or possibly better than the Morel. You can start looking in a couple weeks in hardwood forests after a rain. They are a tough hunt for me since I generally can't stand the oppressive summer heat.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure if it is a berkleys or a white chicken....I can te ya one thing it's reall good tasting. Has the same texture quality of a portabella. However, it's not a truly flavorful mushroom by itself it takes on any flavor very well. Going to be a great stock much room and anything you make that's flavorful.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Getting close to about time for a prime-time mushroom, the Chanterelle.

It sure is! I'm a big fan myself!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts