The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The following is our crew trip to Maine. We were at the same event as Labandbirdman, Buttons and crew.

Finally finished cleaning up from the Duckwater Jamboree that was held in Belfast, Maine this year. Here are some of the photos that were taken during our trip. We left on Tuesday and had a foggy trip north. We stopped at Cabela’s in Hartford, Connecticut and LL Bean in Freeport, Maine for something to do on the way up. We would have stopped at the Portland, Maine Cabela’s as well but only saw it as we drove past the exit.

Wednesday we did a little scouting and attempted to find some of the boat ramps we may use. We got a late start to that morning due to the rest of my crew sleeping in rather late. We did get to see our first Eiders though swimming around. We thought we saw a decent amount of birds as well during the scouting trip.

Wednesday night all the groups that were at the Duckwater Jamboree met in the hotel restaurant at 5PM to discuss places to go. There were about 10 boats in all and everyone pretty much paired up with another boat to go out with. We went with Labandbirdman (Jason) and his crew to the same launch. Before the trip Jason was a help giving me tips since I never hunted tidal water without a guide before.
Thursday morning came and as Jason posted in his thread, we hit the water at daybreak. We saw a good bit of birds on the way to our spot just up the reach from Jason and his crew. We stayed in radio contact throughout the morning to see how each other was doing. The dog got his first salt water and sea duck retrieves on Scoter and Oldsquaw that morning.
After hunting the morning we followed Jason and crew and did a little more scouting by boat. We also tried to hunt the afternoon but did not get anything else.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At the Thursday night meeting we decided to try another area a little farther southeast then were we set up the day before. Jason and his crew went to an area farther northwest. It was decided to send a boat that would do better in less windy conditions with Jason and crew and we would go out on our own. We got lost going to the ramp and had to do some four wheeling to get out of and area we accidently drove to. I had mud on my roof and in the interior of my truck. But we got out and found the ramp a little later than what we wanted to. We set up in between a few island and ended up doing fairly well that day. We finally got our first Eider as well. We had a drake Eider come right through the decoys that morning as well but we shot 3 Scoter right off the bat and the dog was able to get 2 before the 3rd was getting swept out by the current. When we were getting the 3rd bird the drake Eider went right through the decoys (crap happens). While standing on the shore letting the dog take a brake we had a hen Barrow’s Goldenye come into the decoys.
Gunner taking a break.

Day 2 results.

First Eider over two of the Eider decoys I painted.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Day 3 would have us launching with Jason and crew again after they had a spectacular day on Eiders. We followed them out into the open water and cut across the water a few miles to another island where they saw some flying the day before. After getting set up we had a hen Eider swim into the decoys from about a 100 yards away. We were getting ready to shoot her when 2 drake Eiders came and landed in the decoys. Three eiders were now in the bag to start off the day. It wasn’t long after that the rain came and the birds slowed down their flying. Jason and his crew were doing good again this morning. We could hear some shooting and could hear them on the VHF radio as well. (Jason do you know how hard it is to listen to guys smacking the snot out of Eiders on the radio). Jason let us know they were packing up and heading in and we told them we were sticking it out and moving to the other side of the island we were at. We saw a large group of Eiders rafted up over there and saw birds flying that point in the morning. We moved but got nothing else. Saw three seals at that spot. We were pretty much soaked by noon and decided to call it a day, so we thought. We packed everything up and headed to the launch.

See the goggles did come in handy. We got the launch (beach) and found the water a little over ankle deep 150 yards or so from shore. Some guys were setting up for a bufflehead shoot near the launch as well. We were already soaked and didn’t want to screw the other guys up that were hunting near the launch so we turned around and just hunted outside the area we launched. We ended up getting 6 Oldsquaw and a Bufflehead out there. The rain subsided when we made it back onto the boat trailer and allowed us to get some things in the boat cleaned up for the ride home the next day.
Day 3 Results

Taking pictures of those taking pictures

Das Boot otherwise known as Duck Norris

In the few days we were there we met a lot of nice people and had a great time with Jason, Pat, Neil, Joe and Marley as well as all the others that attended the event. Woody and Steve it was good to meet you guys as well. Steve you heard it from my brother about when I got my boat that he thought it was the stupidest thing that I could have bought. He too now know it takes less water to run then my jon boat and can do so much more. We took the boat in water this week with waves that were pretty big to me. The boat handled great and did not take on any water at all. We had a dry bilge every day (the rain day doesn’t count). We look forward to other great hunts.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Looks like a good time.. Think I saw you flushing out your motor at Wrightsville Monday.. I was the one out on the water fishing.. Those boats look incredible

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That was me. You hunted with Chris the other day and he said that you like to fish as well. Had a weird feeling that was you out there.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Great pics Brent!

lwrsusq, where were you yesterday? We had a flock of 10 mallards floating the shoreline and were BEGGING for a fisherman do drift down lol.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Great post Brent! Gunner looks proud. We had a great time with you guys as well....Justin is a hoot. We'll hafta get our minds and boats together and head back in the coming seasons. Congrats once again on your salt birds. Thst pic of PAtwat is hilarious!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Nice job Brent. The color of that hen you painted is "spot on". Very cool shooting birds over decoys you made.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone!

Kadd - It was the first time we used the Scotes and Oldsquaw I bought from you. Would still like to pick up another dozen Oldsquaw and was hoping that the new GHG ones would be out before the trip.

Jason, we'll definately have to figure something out. Again, we had an awesome time with you guys as well. Gunner slept good for a few days. Now it's time to get back on the river, even though all reports are saying it is slow. Glad to hear some goldeneye are around. Hope to get more this year. maybe try to get Justin a Redhead as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts