The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I almost stepped on this gray fox in my set this morning before I realized I even caught anything. Here is the picture of how it was laying. Sorry for the blurry picture. It was stiff when I got there and not warm at all. The trap held the foot nicely with absolutely zero damage to the animal. However, the only blood I could find was a spot about the size of a pencil's eraser on the lower belly. At first I was holding my breath to find it all torn to pieces underneath by a coyote but I see no sings of this. As you can see there was a catch circle so the fox was alive for some time. I only ever caught a dead fox one other time and I think it froze to death a few years back in a cold, high wind hurricane and that was obviously not the case last night. Any insight would be appreciated.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll have to check it out when I skin it tonight I don't think that is hunted at night at all and there was no excess blood anywhere not even on the ground.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Coyote. Have had two killed by them where they just suffocated them and just left small bite marks on their throats. I had tracks for evidence though. Have seen them destroy them too, as I'm sure you have.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
i caught an old sow coon once that had no teeth left, a bob tail and ears and a wooly hide. she was dead in the trap right across the road from the house. i always figured she just got worked up and had a heart attack.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
While there were not really any visible external injuries, this fox was almost certainly hit on the road. The muscles in the hind end were shredded, bruised skin and muscles all over the body. No puncture wounds. Broken ribs, broken back/neck. Glad she is out of her misery.

·
Registered
265 Posts
If that fox had a broken neck and back and ribs then he was run over while in your trap. he didnt get that much damage from a car and then wander up to your set and check it out.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
82dead said:
If that fox had a broken neck and back and ribs then he was run over while in your trap. he didnt get that much damage from a car and then wander up to your set and check it out.
I was thinking the same thing. Sounds like it was in the trap and run over with a quad. Or stomped if no tire tracks present.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Andrew C. said:
While there were not really any visible external injuries, this fox was almost certainly hit on the road. The muscles in the hind end were shredded, bruised skin and muscles all over the body. No puncture wounds. Broken ribs, broken back/neck. Glad she is out of her misery.
There is no way that fox broke nearly every bone in it's body and then decided to have a bite to eat. I'm saying those injuries happened after he was trapped.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Andrew, you now have a stalker. Coincidences are not believable in this murder mystery. A human killed that grey but which one is not known.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts