The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why do i hear so many guys bad mouth multiple pin sights here and when i look at sights elsewhere , like the spot hog 7 pin, everybody and their mother is in absolute love with it. i will use the reviews page on cabelas for example but this isnt the only place. is it just pa folks that have a hard time using multiple pins?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...0071&hasJS=true

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Nothing wrong with multi-pin sights. I used them for years with good results. I just like my single pin HHA better.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I used a single pin for one season I didn't care for it when I was hunting to many what if's for me. I now use a 5 pin sight from sword with .10 pins perfect for me..

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I love my Trophy Ridge Matrix 5 pin sight. It also has drill/tap holes on the back to put a magnifying glass on it if you have bad eyesight.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I used a single pin for several years with OK results. I would tend to misjudge the shots between 30-40 yards, and shoot under them. It happened a few times. The sight I was using has 3 pins, but I just moved them all the way down.

This year I got a range finder, and went back to using the 3 sight pins. Not sure if I like it or not. I'm thinking I may go to 2 pins next year as 2 of them are real close together. My bow shoots within a couple inches high and low from 15 to 30 yards. The drop from 30 to 40 is over a foot.

Not really sure why someone would want all those sight pins. Maybe for a low poundage bow? I've also heard of people using them out west where the shots tend to be longer. I don't think I would want to have to decide wich one of 7 sight pins to use in the moment of truth.

·
Registered
588 Posts
20 YEARS AGO I HAD A MULTIPLE PIN SIGHT, 15,25, AND 35 YDS. SWITCHED TO ONE PIN ABOUT 10 YEARS AGO AND HAVE NOT HAD A PROBLEM. TOXONICS AND SPOT HOGG MAKE SOME NICE MULTIPLE SIGHTS IF YOU ARE ASKING.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I use a Sword with pins at 20, 30, and 40. I choose that setup as much for the practice and tuning shots as I do for making a hunting shot. I used to shoot a lot of 3D with a yardage adjustable scope so I feel more comfortable laying a pin right where I want to hit. Plus I practice mostly at 40 yards. A couple of shots held dead on at 40 yards and I can see if anything in my setup has changed.

V

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
I shoot a 3 pin Fuse sight. 20,30, and 40 yards. It works well for me. Shoot what you are most comfortable with.

·
4,240 Posts
Trophy Ridge 5-pin Micro Matrix, it is great. Never used a single pin and probably won't even try.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I've always used multi pin sites. My first pin is good to 30 which covers alot of shooting lanes. I do not like to have a lot pins. They can obscure you site picture in low light conditions. Big and bright site pins can also obscure your site picture in low light conditions.

·
Registered
20,873 Posts
I agree.My Sword has 5 pin and the bottom two are slid all the way to the bottom,out of the way.Mine are sighted in at 30,40 and 50 yards.The 40 and 50 yard pins are set mainly for practice and 3D.

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i have a 3 pin sight currently and they are set at 10, 20 and 30...really dont need the 10 but my current bow isnt capable of quality kill shots past 30 yards. takes any chance of a bad guess out the window.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
3D Hunter said:
I used a single pin for one season I didn't care for it when I was hunting to many what if's for me. I now use a 5 pin sight from sword with .10 pins perfect for me..
i agree. i also have the sword accusight and absolutely love it. i might buy 5 more just incase they quit selling them.

·
Registered
512 Posts
PA hunters are just opinionated about everything!

A single pin is easier to focus on. But for hunting, I prefer a multi pin sight because I never have to worry that my single pin slider is not set right. I like a 5 pin sight. I only used the top 3 for hunting (20, 30, 40 yds), but I like to shoot 50 and 60 yds for practice.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I had shot 3 to 5 pin my whole life about 40 plus years but as age creeps up on me I can get the color and distance mixed up a little.I just switched to a HHA one pin sight and I like it.
This past season I removed the 4 other pins and only used one,one pin will get me to 30 yards with out any problems.I shoot a saber at 53 lbs and I feel that my limited distance with that bow weight

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I bought a brand new Apex 6 Pin sight this past fall- got it on my brand new bow- got the bow all tuned in and I couldn't keep a group to save my life. After shooting a single pin through 14 weeks of indoor dots, then a single adjustable pin through September 3D seasons, I was a mess with all those pins in the sight picture. Got an HHA 5519- robin hood after 3 arrows. I suffered from site panic. I couldn't focus on the target with all those pins around. Went to one pin, shooting went up in accuracy and consistancy. Now, from a hunting aspect, what I did is once I got into my tree, I ranged what I felt was the most logical shot and most frequent shot distance from there, set my site and let it go. Usually I set it for 25 yds. If a deer came in beyond 30, I had time and ability to change the distance. If it was inside 20 yds, held a little low. Seemed to work this year.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts