The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out recently to work a few dogs in the woods on grouse and once I was done in the woods, I worked them a little in the fields on the quail that are still hanging on around the farm despite the cold and snow.

Here are a few pictures of the dogs in the woods.

Double find on a grouse. Black and white pointer at the end of the big log on left and orange and white pointer on the right.

Here is another picture that I took of the orange and white pointer zoomed in a little before I worked my way ahead and flushed.

This is another pointer with a find in the multi-floral roses and green briars. The grouse was to the left slighly out of the picture and over the edge of the embankment from the dog. Wind was slightly at her but more up hill. She knows that it is there and is standing it but I think she would have been more intense if the wind were right at her. I think she is on the edge of the scent cone.

Once we had enough of the thick nasty blood letting stuff, we did a little work on the quail on the farm. Here is a little covey that was pointed and I was able to take a picture of before flushing. They were still in their protective donut shape and I think they had roosted there the night before as the snow had melted under them and there was plenty of quail do-do where they flushed from.

Here are a few pictures of finds on quail in the fields. Some were on singles after flushing the coveys and some were on covey finds.

I hope the ground hog was right and spring is coming soon. The scenting conditions have been great, but the dogs and I have had enough of the snow. Besides, spring dog training season is quickly approaching and I would like to be working the dogs in a little warmer weather.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Awesome pics to say the least !
1) Is the dog still on point on that covey ?
2) How close were you able to get to them before flushing ?
Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TucksDad,

The dog was out of the picture to the left and that is how I saw them. I actually zoomed in to take the picture. They were just starting to move when I took the picture. You can see the one male (white head) turned towards the middle. When I first saw them, they were all pointed outwards. They flushed at about 15 yards when I approached.

Rober,

Thanks and it is hard to run them in the woods where they might find grouse without ending up with bloody tails. I am sure you are aware of that.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Pointer said:
TucksDad,

The dog was out of the picture to the left and that is how I saw them. I actually zoomed in to take the picture. They were just starting to move when I took the picture. You can see the one male (white head) turned towards the middle. When I first saw them, they were all pointed outwards. They flushed at about 15 yards when I approached.

Rober,

Thanks and it is hard to run them in the woods where they might find grouse without ending up with bloody tails. I am sure you are aware of that.
No bloody tails but everything else though

My orange and white just had triple ligament replacement surgey in her left knee today. I would rather have a bloody tail

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Very nice pictures. You sure have a lot more snow in your area than I do here which is none.

I would have thought the quail would have been in a little heavier cover when they circled up. It's always a treat to find quail when they are in that formation. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most I found were under the snow in voids made by the cover. I thought they may have moved in to feed and warm up in the sun from the brush behind the corn but who knows.

We had 8" of fresh snow on Friday night and it seems we get a few inches every night. Snowing here again as I type this.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Pointer,
Looks like a beautiful day with the dogs!
Pine Creek/Dave

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Awesome Pics Vince. Still thankful for you going out of your way making sure Cameron got a pheasant during our hpa fall hunt. Look forward to coming down again...

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
great pictures!! Real bird dog don't have labels like "grouse dog" or "Quail dog", they are just "Bird dogs"!

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thwho said:
great pictures!! Real bird dog don't have labels like "grouse dog" or "Quail dog", they are just "Bird dogs"!
I could not agree more. Dogs that are trained properly and have exceptional abilities can handle any type of bird. If not, they are just average dogs with average ability. Everyone of these dogs have seen wild birds from here to the Dakotas and have no issues going from species to species.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They are uploaded to photobucket and then there is a link established for each picture that you simply paste into your response or post.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts