The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally buy the 5 for 10$ bags of mulch from lowes or home depot for my flower beds at my house. This year for my garden after fighting a never ending battle with weeds and pest i plan to line the surface with newspaper wet it down then mulch over it since almost everything i plant i start from seed i can just move little of the mulch and easily dig through the paper to plant my tomatoes, peppers, cabbage an so on. I plan on having my garden going as soon as possible to prevent the weeds from starting and was wondering if anyone knows when lowes or homedepot put the bags of mulch on sale? normally they are 3.33 each but last year i got them for 10$ for 5.

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
I was in Lowe's yesterday and I think I saw their premium 2 CU FT bags for [email protected]

·
Super Moderator
5,043 Posts
Not sure of your situation... Might want to consider mushroom compost. I've bought it by the pickup load at a couple of places in central pa. About $60 for a good 6 bed load.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Just wondered what township your in. Many have free mulch and compost. I've hauled 6 loads of leaf compost so far from our facility.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Big brownie do you use mushroom manure or compost in your garden? I have heard good things about it and was going to use it this year!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
live in north middleton township outside of carlisle

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks did not know that they had garden soil on sale too that will make my raised beds easier to complete

·
Super Moderator
5,043 Posts
Bow Buster.... I've probably bought 25 ton of mushroom compost in the last 5 years. It's great for loosing up clay soils. I started a big garden at camp, all yellow clay . Tilled in 5 pick up loads of compost, now have good dirt. I also use it straight in raised beds. I've built a dozen raised beds, 6x10 feet, and have filled them full of mushroom compost. I grew really nice carrots, onions,beets and sweet potatoes in them. I put in a couple of raised beds for my son, he grew strawberries, peppers, potatoes, cauliflower, and tomatoes in 100% compost. The nicest garden I've ever seen. If you google growing gardens in mushroom compost, it'll tell you that the compost has no value as far as growing a garden. I can tell you the master garden folks got that all wrong. Just make sure the compost has time to cool and hit it with 10-10-10.

·
Super Moderator
5,043 Posts
In central Pa, I've bought mushroom manure Mountaintop Coal sales in Snow Shoe, and at an Amish greenhouse on Fairgrounds Rd just off the Rt 220 exit, Loch Haven , I-80. Both sell it buy the skid steer loader bucket, really affordable. Try it, you'll like it.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I can get ya a triaxle load with about 45 yards in it for around $1,200. Good stuff!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for the info. My dad's neighbor uses mushroom manure and has amazing gardens year after year my dad and I just got a couple truck loads for our gardens and have been tilling it in. I can't believe they say it's not good for gardens when people I talk to have proof how great it helps vegetables grow!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts