The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to mow my clover plot, question is I added some brassica and its higher that my cover. Will the moving hurt the brassica and will it come back strong? the brassica grew alot faster then I thought with the clover. Last year the brassica did'nt do as well but I planted it later. Greg

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Few years back, I went to Ohio to help mow food plots for a friend. He had a brassica/clover plot and I bush hogged it. He said the brassica came back. This was in August.

If in doubt with your situation, why not mow a small section and see what happens. If it works out, mow the whole thing. I'd also fertilize after mowing this time of year or maybe closer to September.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Brassicas, when used for livestock, can be grazed up to 3 times. I wouldn't know why mowing would hurt them as long as there is ample time before frost to grow back, and at the beginning of Aug. that should not be a problem. Like Dutch said...if your uneasy about it, mow a portion, and you'll be right either way.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Don't mow Brassica. You want it to get as big and leafy as possible; deer won't hit it until after a few frosts and then they will wipe it out quick. Get it as tall and leafy as possible. Food plots don't need to look like gardens you know! I would let fine stemed clover go without mowing until spring as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts